Canadian Forces Iltis (Ferret)

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Stev0, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I found a version of the Iltis on the site and got to thinking. With the Canadian Forces recieving the G-Wagon to replace the lacklustre Iltis I thought 'heck I should create a paper model of both'.

As a side note there are about 100 or so of these in Afghanistan at this time. They are worth about $3000-$5000 in value and shipping them back home would cost almost $250,000 so it's obvious what will happen to these poor little buggers.​

So anyhow. I am currently creating a Canadian and German version for release but at this time I am not sure at what scale. I am thinking a covered version for 1/72 scale. Perhaps a topless for 1/25 scale because I have some great references and the whole model is pretty much angular.

Pictures to follow.
  2. ramatoto

ramatoto Member

Did i right understand this, the Iltis is still in use at the Canadian Army?

I´m very surprised about that. Here in Germany, they have all been replaced by Mercedes G-Type Jeeps (not the armoured Dingo, normal G-types with camouflage paint)

For a model, i think 1/72 should be ok for a covered version, it should´t be much longer than 3 cm in this scale:)

To your "side note": when the Bundeswehr left Somalia, some years ago, nearly all vehicles (Unimogs, Trucks) were left there. That was the cheaper version to bring them home.

3. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Canada has replaced the Iltis with the Nyala RG-31 and G wagons. They are also using LAV IIIs and Leopard tanks in Afghanistan. The G wagons in Afghanistan were all fitted with new armoured turrets in 2005, while in the field.
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The G's have been in place right after the first iltis/landmine incident where it was demonstrated how poor it was for road travel in the area in general. Also the Iltis is still in use and not completely replaced since it's numbers from bombardier are 6000 and you gotta think it rather a silly idea to throw away 6000 vehicles/parts vehicles. I think they just got rotated to a rear echelon role or pretty much a get-about vehicle.

It's funny that the website for Canadian Military Ground Transport also lists the Stryker/Bison as a fielded unit. I thought that deal was cancelled? With the projected Coyote turreted and 105 Gun Variant at the top of the list of Variants being fielded. These 2 are not even on the list at all.

Anyhow. I have so far worked out a template to work off of from the Iltis site and using the finished mode pics from as a guide.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

just a teaser.... updated
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'm looking at creating the 1/25 version right now. The 1/72 one will be so tiny... lol.
  7. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Oh ya steveO. You da man!
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Good news ... I just found a butt load of references from people selling Canadian Iltis's (die iltis). Well looks like I am going to design the final one in 1/25 scale. I have pics of everything. Right now I am pretty much finished the outside skin and will work out a better underside and frame.

9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Damn damn damn!!!! having some problems trying to figure out a way of creating the chassis. Since I have decided to go with 1.25 on a 4x4 I dont want to wimp out. Also this new daylight savings time deal has fubar'd my Max Dongle saying it's unregged for some reason.

Oh well at least I can continue texturing.
  10. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

keep plugging away - :)
  11. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Thank you Thank you.

Right on Stev0. I'm looking forward to adding these models to my collection, and also to seeing how you handle the chassis. I'm working on a car model right now and am also struggling with how to do the chassis - trying to find that balance between strength and simplicity.

Keep up the good work.