Canada Malting Plant

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Update

Here the tramp steamer gets a dab or two of paint and some masts added and a few details. You can see the LPB crew have painted the name on the hull.

Attachments

• cm22.jpg
    cm22.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 198

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I have to admit that every morning I just HAVE to check this forum to see your latest progress, and I'm always absolutely amazed at what you accomplish. You are a true master of the art of model railroading.

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
As usual, that is great work, Robin. A terrific scene has resulted.
You inspire many modellers here.
What can be done with ordinary materials, using an inventive mind, and skilled hands, are what true model building has always represented.
I truly enjoy the scratchbuilding and kitbashing in this forum...as much as I truly deplore the concept of "ready-to-use" buildings on the market these days.
regards \ Mike

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
It's obvious now...like Bob Villa and Martha Stewart, you have a large underpaid staff doing all this, right? That tramp steamer is too, too cool, way to go.;) :D :p :cool:

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
A big thanks for your very kind words guys. The support here at the Gauge is amazing. You can tell that building this stuff gives me a great deal of pleasure. Now there is a risk of posting the steps from the begining because I don't know how what I am doing will turn out. So far I have been reasonably lucky. The BIG goof off still may be just around the corner

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Robin,
And no doubt your methods for correcting your big goof will be instructive to the rest of us as well. We've all had goofs in our modelling efforts, and sometimes you just have to trash the whole thing and start over. That's part of the fun of model railroading, experiment with something and if it doesn't work, throw up your hands, say "Oh well" and move on.

One of the reasons I like to work with cheap supplies like balsa wood and cardboard, if I don't like it I don't have enough money invested in it that I feel bad about starting over.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
WOW!!!

Robin, I don't know how I missed this thread for so long but that is utterly fantastic work. I haven't even started mine and here you are finished!!!!!

Frankly I've been dithering about the loading arm you talked about, which in "malt plant" parlance is called a "marine leg". I have had no luck finding any kind of plans or even a detailed pic, but seeing your construction photos of it has helped a lot! Do you by any chance have drawings you used in the construction? And if so, would you be willing to post them?

I'm just honoured to have had a small part in this beautiful model. It's just like the real thing!!!!!!

cheers
Val

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks Val. I will do a drawing of the marine arm and post it here when it is done.
Here are the details of the original ship loading pipes that are seldom used since the 'marine leg" came into operation.
The BNSF locos are often seen operating in the western Canada area. Here one moves a cylindrical hopper to the off loading area.
The cargo is barley from the prairies. At this malting facility, the barley is steeped in water and made to germinate. The starch of the grain being thus converted into saccharine matter, after which, it is dried in a kiln. This is then shipped to brewerys and distillng plants around the Pacific Rim where the malt is used in brewing and distilling.
So now when your LPBs are bending their elbows guzzling their favourite brew, they are supporting the malt industry and the Canada Malting Co. LTD.

Attachments

• cm24.jpg
    cm24.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 225

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Here are my rough sketches of how I made the marine leg. This is after the building as I have developed the bad habit of drawing my plans directly on the material I am using so there are no plans to share with anyone afterwards. Hope these sketches make some sense to you Val.
Here is the first one showing the arm in the housed position.

Attachments

• ml1.jpg
    ml1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 273

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Robin, excellent! That steamer is coming along so well! I really like the shear size of the structures compared to the locomotive! Thanks for a great thread!
Ralph

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks very much Robin for those diagrams! I got your email, but when I tried to reply I got my message back as undeliverable. Seems you think my emails are Spam!!!!! And here I thought we were friends boo-hoo-hoo.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
cheers anyway LOL
Val