Canada Malting Plant

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
This old malting plant has been part of the Toronto waterfront since 1928 when the first group of silos were built. It expanded in 1944 with more silos then ceased operating in 1987.
Val(spitfire) brought this to my attention with her post in Real Thing Canada
Val very has been very kind to me and sent me a copy of the architects drawings so I could build this structure to exact scale.
It is 344 feet wide and 210 feet high. In N gauge this comes to 28 inches wide ans 15 7/8 inches high. I can't build the depth to scale as I don't have enough room to build the whole structure but then that's modellers licence.
A big thanks for all the help Val.

Attachments

• cm3.jpg
    cm3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 544

Matthyro

There is more cost to this project than I usually experience. I got enough PVC pipe for $15.00 at Canadian Tire. The 1 1/2 inch internal diameter pipe is a perfect 26 feet in N scale. The 1 1/4 inch internal diameter pipe is a perfect 19 feet in N scale. I cut the pipe into the required lengths using my radial arm saw.
Here is what they look like.

Attachments

• cm1.jpg
    cm1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 518

Matthyro

The building sections will be made out of cardboard. What else EH!
Here is the corrugated cardboard foundation. Cerealboard will be added with detail later

Attachments

• cm4.jpg
    cm4.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 562

Matthyro

This is to get a feel for what this will look like put together

Attachments

• cm2.jpg
    cm2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 503

Matthyro

Adding some cerealboard details to the carton base. I found that some of my measurements weren't right so had to do some bits over.

Attachments

• cm6.jpg
    cm6.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 438
  • cm6.jpg
    cm6.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 437

jon-monon

I think I speak on behalf of the masses when I say, "We are moist with anticipation."

PVC sure is a nice, inexpensive material to use for many things.

Matthyro

I must admit, this is an intimidating project. I just hope I can get it all to come together. If I hadn't already posted the beginings here I may have backed off for a while. The real benefit of posting a step by step process is that it keeps my eye on the ball and I am therefore comitted to completing this structure so will keep at it. Your generous comments provide me with the juices to continue.
Thanks everyone.

Matthyro

progress to date. The buildings are almost complete.

Attachments

• cm8.jpg
    cm8.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 377
  • cm8.jpg
    cm8.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 422

Matthyro

This shows some of the detail of the frame that will hold the ship loading arm. The frame work still needs to be painted.

Attachments

• cm9.jpg
    cm9.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 377
  • cm9.jpg
    cm9.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 378

Clerk

Come on Robin. Keep working on it. You'r doing great

E mail me when finished so I don't miss it.

Matthyro

Correction

Earlier I referred to the plastic pipe as being PVC pipe. In fact it is ABS pipe. Sorry for the error.
In this photo I have glued sections of the pipe together using a two part cement. I am sure any epoxy glue will work.

Attachments

• cm10.jpg
    cm10.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 414
  • cm10.jpg
    cm10.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 359
Well Robiin, you do live up to your reputation... what a great model ,look forward to its completion and to seeing it on your layout when next we visit. Its so nice to get plans and photo,s to work from.I will be buiding that feed store that Val posted such good pictues of in the future when I get around to building the town of Helengon

Matthyro

Thanks Jimmy. I am now working on the ship loading arm. The prototype extends out over the water to reach the hold of a ship. It moves back into its housing when the job is done. This photo shows the beginings of the arm I am making. The cross beams are cut from paper and the ends still need to be trimmed off.

Attachments

• cm11.jpg
    cm11.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 341
  • cm11.jpg
    cm11.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 340

Matthyro

Here the ship loading arm is almost ready to be installed. I want to make the arm work like the real thing and a couple of control arms still have to be made.

Attachments

• cm12.jpg
    cm12.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 293
  • cm12.jpg
    cm12.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 286