can you tell me what a flat car like this would be used for? pics inside

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by ozzy, Feb 5, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

looks like a old home made something or other.

Attached Files:

2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

the signs are a "warning flammable" the shed thingy's door was wide open, it looked empty. i took the pics from the truck on the street. maybe i will scratch build this car,, use one of my empty flat cars and add the wood structures.
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

It definately looks flamable! I suspect it is a home made by the railroad for hauling maintanance of way supplies to the job site. I don't know if a railroad would need chemicals or paint at a job site on the right of way or not, but that is all I can think of that would be flamable and carried in a small shack on a flat car like that.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

how about gas for a torch or portable welder?
  5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

It could be. I just think that for hauling oxygen and acetyline for torches, they would have something more permanent and solid. That looks like they used the stake pockets on a standard flat car to throw up a shack and fence. In fact the car looks like it might still be in revenue service and was empty sitting in the yard when the mow crew needed to borrow it for something.
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

looks like its been sitting there for awhile.
  7. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Well if it looks and smells and the sign tells-

I think it's a rolling privvy.

(Don't light any matches!)
  8. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

I sure don't know what its use might have been...Prolly MOW...But it sure is kool..!! :thumb:
  9. e-paw

e-paw Member

where did you find that car
  10. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

Ottumwa , Iowa . it was on a siding , i took them pics from my truck from the road.
  11. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

It is a dynamite car.