Can you tell me about this train ?

BP61

Nov 12, 2004
Perth Western Australia
:wave: Hi, I asked about the gauge of this train last week . Now I have a photo, can anyone recommend what type of rail I should purchase to run it on. The gauge is 1 1/4 inch. any assitance would be greatfully accepted.

Thanks Ian

Attachments

• Steam Train.JPG
    Steam Train.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 119

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Ian, 1 1/4" is O gauge. Your loco looks like what is known as tinplate or toytrain, one not a copy of any prototype. Are you sure it runs, the paint appears to be damaged by heat, or is it a livesteamer?

BP61

Nov 12, 2004
Perth Western Australia
Thanks Scott it is a live steamer. It runs on Metholated spirit. There are 6 burners under the boiler. It is made of tin plate . we have some carriages that are made of tinplate that also have doors that open. They are quite exact for their age . I think the whole set is 60 or more years old. I also believe that it came to Australia from England. What is the best type of track to run it on please ?

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Ian, 60 years sounds like a good guess from the looks of it, but I'm don't know a whole lot about O gauge or live steam. Have you looked for brand name etc. on the loco/cars? You might want to post your pics. in the O gauge forum? I 'm sure someone here at the Gauge can help you out.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ian:
I think it probably more than 60 years old; I would guess around World War I.
For track, I would suggest all metal track, or rails with wood ties. No plastic. You probably need the widest radius you can find.
I'll check a few references when I get time.