Can wood filler be used for creating HO road surfaces?

RobertInOntario

When I created a road on my larger HO layout (which is only 4x6!) I remember using wood filler or something similar to create a road surface.

I've now just started building a very small HO layout (about 3x4!!) that I plan to use as a portable layout for my smaller trains. I have some wood filler and was thinking of using that for a road surface. I'd simply apply it and then sand it down. After that, I'd cover or paint the surface with some Woodland Scenics Top Coat.

Is wood filler OK to use?

Thanks,

R.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Can't think of why you shouldn't. My preference for portable things is lightweight spackle, which comes premixed in a tub, looking like whipped dessert topping. Dries to a foamy textured solid, and can be sanded or carved somewhat.

One thing I would think about with wood filler is applying it in multiple coats to minimize shrinking or cracking as it dries.

Andrew

RobertInOntario

Can't think of why you shouldn't. My preference for portable things is lightweight spackle, which comes premixed in a tub, looking like whipped dessert topping. Dries to a foamy textured solid, and can be sanded or carved somewhat.

One thing I would think about with wood filler is applying it in multiple coats to minimize shrinking or cracking as it dries.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. This is all coming back now. I think the last time, I did use a small tub of spackle -- I think it was called DAP and we use it around the house to fill holes, cracks, etc. After applying, it has a pink colour which turns to white after it dries. Maybe that would be better than wood filler, especially if the latter is prone to cracking?

The new layout isn't bad -- at least I can run my smaller locos and short trains on it. It's ideal for my 0-6-0s & 0-4-0s. Again, the curves are 15"R! Pacifics and 10-wheelers are a bit dubious (although some will still run OK on it!).

Thanks again,
Rob

Mountain Man

Something else you can use is water putty, also called "rock" putty. It comes in a powder, can be mixed to the consistency you like, and you can do whatever you want to it after it dries.

I often find it useful because it has a lengthy shelf life until you mix it, and it can be made into malleable shapes.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
... It comes in a power...

Its comes in a power? You need to say it like it comes in a POWER!!! POWER!!!

Use it on your model rail road to give your roads more POWER!!!

(sigh)...I'm spent.

This message was brought to by 4:20 on a Friday afternoon and the letter B which stands for Beer!

Mountain Man

Its comes in a power? You need to say it like it comes in a POWER!!! POWER!!!

Use it on your model rail road to give your roads more POWER!!!

(sigh)...I'm spent.

This message was brought to by 4:20 on a Friday afternoon and the letter B which stands for Beer!

I said PUTTY!! Forget about power...you're obsessed with power. :cry: