Can somebody point me to a decent Illustrator tutorial?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Lex, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

... And I thought colouring was easy... I've exported a model from Rhino, but I am a n00b at using Adobe Illustrator. Can anyone help?
  2. 46rob

46rob Member

I find that coloring is easier using Photoshop, than Illustrator. If you don't have Photoshop--try GIMP.
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

But photoshop can't handle vector graphics, can it?
  4. Buki

Buki Member

5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

6. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

I could help you with your model I work with ilustrator send me a Email to see what you need :)
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Cheers everyone, thewoodengraver really gave an exceptionally good link... But are there a tutorial on this forum that deals with such things?
  8. PapaBear

PapaBear Member

If you do want to use Photoshop together with Illustrator;-

Have both Illustrator and Photoshop open at the same time. Have a new document started in Photoshop to size you require.

In Illustrator, select the vector graphic you want to bring into Photoshop. (Hopefully not too complex)

You can then hit 'Ctrl C', and then go to the Photoshop file that is open and then paste, 'Ctrl V'. Photoshop will then give you the option to paste as raster (pixels) or to paste as 'paths' (vector).

Choose vector and you'll now find the editable lines pasted in a new 'Path' channel in your 'layers and channels box'. You can now edit the paths.

Hope that helps. Photoshop obviously has limited tools for cpmplex vector work as the pen tool is suited to creating masks only. But just to let you know that you can swap between Photoshop and Illustrator should you need to use both at the same time.

By the way, when you are switched to working in the 'Path' channel, your edit tools like scale, resize, rotates, etc. will work specifically on any selected path just like a pixel image.

Also, you should get friendly with Photoshop's 'History' channel, its invaluable to know that 'Ctrl Alt z' will step back through your work history (pending how many states you have set in preferences). You can also step forward. :)

9. rowiac

rowiac Member

The problem you are having with trying to color objects in Illustrator is probably that the objects are not closed and so the fill command won't work.

I've had that problem when importing vector graphics from AutoCAD into Illustrator. It that's the case for you too, then you will need to join the separate lines and curves into a closed shape in order to fill it. [You can tell if an object is made up of separate shapes or not by selecting it with the regular Selection Tool (arrow with black head) and see if the whole shape lights up, or just one line or piece of it.]

One way I have found that works is to use the Direct Selection Tool (arrow with the white head) to select the endpoints of two objects that you need to join and then use Ctrl-J to join them. The Direct Selection Tool only selects points, rather than the whole curve, so it allows you edit the points separately.

If we use a rectangle as an example, you would have four separate lines making up the shape. You need to turn it into a single object by combining all four lines into a single, closed rectangular object.

So in this case you would need to select the endpoints at each corner (drag a small rectangular selection around a corner to grab the endpoints of two lines at once) and join them. Do this three more times and the rectangle will be a single, closed object that can be filled with color or gradient or whatever you want. This can be tedious when there are a lot of points to be joined. If the shape is simple, you can trace over it to make a new closed shape using the regular Selection Tool.

Once you have your closed shape, the fill is set using the solid color square (default is white) near the bottom of the toolbar. Select your object with the regular Selection Tool and double-click the solid square and the Color Picker pops up to select your fill color. (The solid square will likely have a red slash through it signifying no fill, until you add a fill of your own.)

This method is very basic, and there may be better ways to do it, but it has worked for me.

Good Luck,

10. xyberz

xyberz Member

11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Wow, good one, I'll sure try this out myself and see if it works.
  12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Just tried PapaBear's method... But photoshop isn't giving me the option to paste as paths at all... The only thing I can do is to "Burn" the paths onto the raster image. Can someone help?
  13. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

14. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I work with Coreldraw and Corel photopaint which are somewhat similar to Adobe Illustrator and Abode photopaint.

I usually work in the vector program(Coreldraw). To put a bitmap on one of my parts, I import it. With the bitmap selected I click on <effects> <powerclip><place in container> Then I click on the part. I can change the relationship between bitmap and part by clicking on <effects><powerclip><edit contents>

I avoid using bitmaps since they make the file clunky. From the vector program I can do the full range of color and shading(fountain fills)without using a bitmap. The advantage of vector is that you can change size as much as you want without degredation of quality.

If I want to add a drawing of something to a photograph then I draw in Coreldraw and then import into photopaint. It allows me to play with size before setting it as raster. if I change my mind after setting it as raster, then I go back to the drawing and import again.

I use vector(coreldraw, illustrator) for cardmodels and raster(photopaint, photoshop) for photographs.
    don't know if this helps at all but it might give some ideas.