Can not keep up, how are they so much faster?

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by rockydog43950, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockydog43950

rockydog43950 New Member

Unable to keep the pace with my spec. engine,Battery,120spur gear. I have tried every gear, Advanced timing (Cheating) and still get blown away in the straits. The car handles great, I just don't have the speed that the others do, and no one wants to help. Thanks for any information to get me up to speed.
  2. mastmec

mastmec Member

First, be desciptive of car make model, motor, class. What are you running, battery, gearing?
  3. rockydog43950

rockydog43950 New Member

L4 oval, carpet, Trinity spec engine, battery, mandatory 120spur, any ring gear, 1970 or earlier body, no wings. Have tried every gear ratio they make, Runout on tires, trued the com. new brushes, com lube, hood alinment, advanced timming, retard timming. assosciated digital speed control.
    The car handles like a dream, no toe in or out, oil all bearings clean every thing after each race, No speed when compared to the A,or B main cars.
  4. mastmec

mastmec Member

Same motor as others, Trinity spec 19t? Who are you racing against? And what battery and charger are you using?
    I know you know this, but retarding the timing, you will go slower. Also brushes, which ones?
  5. rockydog43950

rockydog43950 New Member

Only Street Spec motors and batteries may be used. batteries may not be modified. Motors must display the ID Tag and not tampered with.
    Replacement brushes must be "P"style amd be displayed on rear of brush
    Minimun weight 38oz.
    I am using a Integy 16X5v6 digital charger. I am keeping a detailed log on each battery history. Thanks
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

Sounds like you've got your stuff together.
    Was this one race day or all the time?
  7. rockydog43950

rockydog43950 New Member

Last 6wks. I have just kept my nose to the grindstone and keep looking for speed. I think that they are twisting the armature to retain the stock tab on the housing. Not sure how they are doing that any Ideas? On one of the engines I have cut the stock tab off and rotate the bell housing for more Rpm but if I advance it to much then the motor power goes down and I don't have the power out of the hole. Is it better to undergear for the power out of the hole and let the motor rev?. Any thoughts to mods I can do? I am sure they are cheating, and I am not above cheating either, I just want to lose because I am being out driven. They only seem to tear down the winners that set new track records.
  8. mastmec

mastmec Member

Sometimes you advance the timing you have to regear, like 1 tooth lower to get it up to speed, you lose torque but gain RPM, so you change the power curve. They also may be moding the brushes (timing them, holes, slots) or running very light springs.
    How much are they pulling away from you on the straits?
  9. rockydog43950

rockydog43950 New Member

They beat me out of the hole, pass me going into and out of the turn, and walk away on straits. The only way I can run with them is to stay on the inside of the track and nail the turn perfect, Any error I make they fly by me. They are not that great of drivers and I am not that bad.
  10. rockydog43950

rockydog43950 New Member

I also have tried some slight brush mods. drilling hole in center of brush, have tried brush lube, and I am impressed with the decreased arc. at the com with the lube. I have made a resister out of #14 gauge wire and placed my volt meter accross the two ends of wire to read amp draw of the motor. I think that the motors peak timming advance is the point where the amp meter jumps. then back it off a little. Any advice on brush mods.
  11. mastmec

mastmec Member

You can cut about an 1/16in off the side at the comm to fool it to advance the timing on the brush, both brushes.
    Is anything getting hot during your runs? I'm not thinking of any mods that will get you that much more speed, when your running a spec class, unless you got a bad motor. It's got bent over tabs on the bell, right?
  12. timrock

timrock Active Member

what do you mean buy `Cheating`..?
  13. mastmec

mastmec Member

Spec motors have fixed endbells, no tweaking inside the motor is allowed.
  14. rockydog43950

rockydog43950 New Member

Yes it has bendover tabs. This class of racing is for the beginner to learn tne ropes. I Tried the first couple of weeks being 100% with in the rules and felt like a blocker car, and at least now I am only loosing by 3to4 laps, over a 4min. race.
    I have 30plus years of flying RC, and racing all types of airplanes, do we cheat? Never!! It is all called rule interpartation, Do we win, alot...
  15. atc1100rider

atc1100rider Member

why nopt try a 16 tooth pinion and a 87 tooth spur works for me
  16. mastmec

mastmec Member

One thing about comm lube, you have to change the brushes out more often and cut the comm for it to run right every time. Plus you have to clean the motor after every run. This could be a problem.
  17. rockydog43950

rockydog43950 New Member

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. I think we are on the right track with the motors' when we get if figured out watch out. PS I'll help the new guy. no one should struggle as hard as we have.
  18. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

do you guys have a motor claim rule?
  19. timrock

timrock Active Member

whats this motor claim rule all about?
  20. timrock

timrock Active Member

it is just to easy to cheat in them races.that is one of the reasons i dont get involved in any of them orinizations.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.