Can I borrow that rock?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Bill Pontin, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

I was visiting a friend and upon leaving I spotted this amazing rock along his flower garden edge. I got a real puzzled look on my friend's face when I asked to borrow his rock. Told him I wanted to make casting of it for model railroading. He still did not understand, but told me to take it and keep it if I wanted it so bad. :D
  2. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

That bugger must weigh a little over fifty pounds. Brushed all the dirt off it and then turned it to select a side with the most features.

Attached Files:

3. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

THAT is one SEXY rock. You've got a sexy rock there, man. ;)

Looks like scale cliff face. You could probably sell molds of that.
  4. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Upon selecting an area I applied an initial coat of rubber latex. It will take about six coats to make an amazingly strong but very flexable mold.

Attached Files:

5. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Here is one of the molds, next I sprayed the mold with some "wet water". (water with a little soap detergent added) I then poured and spread a hydrocal mix into the mold to make a shell casting.

Attached Files:

6. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Here is the shell casting and the mold (mold is on top)

Attached Files:

7. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

I will make a number of differnt molds and castings and use them on my two new modules. Normally I break them up and use the castings as rock outcroppings.

Attached Files:

8. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

So you're not really into the rolling pink hillsides?

Looks good! I think you'll get plenty of molds from that one rock to be able to not show too much repitition on the layout. What kind of foliage are you planning on using?
  9. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Hi LM, plan on heavily foresting with pine for a turn of the century logging theme.

:rolleyes: Curious and wondering why my pictures can only be viewed when I log on?
  10. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

I think that guests can't view attached images.

Sounds good! I'm excited to see what comes next :)
  11. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Now that's a rock with personality. Only a model railroder would understand. Great catch.
  12. viperman

viperman Active Member

Damn nice rock there! Too bad he didn't have another, then we could all be jealous of your rockssign1 sign1 I know, a little inappropriate.

First glance, I thought it was a meteor rock of some sort
  13. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Looks like petrified wood to me.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  14. viperman

viperman Active Member

I actually kinda thought that too. On a serious note again, I actually do have some petrified wood in the bsement
  15. waredbear

waredbear Member

I don't feel so crazy now. I look at the rock formations as I'm driving around. I'll see one and think..."that would make a great mold for my lay-out". I'll start running it through my head on how I could get away with standing on the side of the road making a rubber mold on the rocks. I figured I would just take a drive out in the woods and find some that would work just as well. So that is my plan.

16. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

That is a nice rock. In the original pic, if you rotated it 90 degrees counterclockwise, it would look like a miniature Rocky Mountain fourteener.
  17. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Very nice!
  18. trainnut65

trainnut65 Member

Hey man i like Your rock. That is going to make some real nice mountain sides
  19. mole

mole New Member

HI, Yea talk about can't help it,"Rock On"! From micro to mighty "ROCKS"
    are down right cool!