can anyone recomend a good glue?

Discussion in 'Tips & FAQs' started by radar*293, Sep 29, 2009.

1. radar*293

radar*293 New Member

i've tryed glue luck
    i've tryd testors modeling glue no luck....

any help?wall1
  2. JanoNath

JanoNath New Member

I use duck brand glue sticks and they work very well for me.
  3. theo

theo Member

I use this one.
    Professional wood glue.
  4. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

I use UHU works very for paper model
  5. culpster

culpster Member

I use...

i use regular Elmer's white glue with 24lb paper. This seems to be the best combo for me. I generally will not get the large bottles but smaller for general use. i have tried a ton of glues and always go back to the regular everyday Elmer's orange capped stuff i used in grade school.
  6. David H

David H Member

Titebond a very quick setting PVA, Evo-Stick PVA, UHU Extra, Cyano, two part epoxy, glue stick and 3M Spray Mount!

Now and then a pale modern imitation of Cow Gum queen of rubber solution glues.

7. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

I am fond of Gorilla Glue. Used carefully and sparingly.
  8. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Mostly use PVA - though quality does seem to vary. 3M spray mount for large areas and laminating to thick (1mm and above) card.

Have used glue sticks, again quality varies. Pritt is best.

Super-glue works really well sticking small parts to your fingers.

9. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

White glue (Elmers, PVA, etc) is your best all-purpose bet. Anything that will bond wood can be swiped from the shop and used for card modelling. Specialty glues (for paper) from the crafts store can give you a range of characteristics (tacky or not, thin or thick, etc.)

Personnally, I grabbed a bottle of Titebond II (yellow carpenter's glue, high tack, water resistant) from the shop when I started this odyssey and haven't needed anything else.
  10. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Loctite super glue is a good bet, it's worked for me for the longest time and I call it old reliable ;)
  11. slee2099

slee2099 Member

Scotch Brand Quick-Dry Adhesive, it's acid free and has a fine applicator tip that's great for smaller parts.

Elmer's White and Aileen's are my poisons of choice.
  13. radar*293

radar*293 New Member

thanks all.... i'll try a few lol so far i've used modeling glue but it seams a lil bit of over kill
  14. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Like alot of others, I'm an Elmer's Glue-All with the orange cap man myself.
    I'm also a fan of the original Super Glue... but in the tube, not the bottle or pen. It's indispensible for fitting some parts together. :thumb:
  15. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Looking at the list, I see about $65 worth of glue mentioned! God bless you and good luck making a choice.

I like Aileens Tacky glue. It's a dollar two 98 at Walmart, sets up quickly, and doesn't wrinkle the paper.
  16. luciencarroll

luciencarroll Grand Poobah

i use Elmer's rubber cement. its the only thing i have tried that the humidity hasn't caused the joints to give out on. on the rare occasion i need to, it is fairly easy to separate to joint without taring, ripping or bending of the paper. i just slide a blade through the seam and rub the area with my finger and the old glue comes off. this is all with 110# card.
    oh and it takes about 20 sec to bond depending on the size of the seam.
  17. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Beware with rubber cement. It does *not* hold well over time and will eventually dry out. My advice, if you want to be able to disassemble a part later, would be to use both Elmers and rubber cement. Dot the Elmers in a few places and then spread the rubber cement over the rest of the flap.

I personally am satisfied with Elmers. It's a fine glue to use if used sparingly, but you want to have either an applicator, like a paintbrush, or a wet rag to wipe your fingers on after you spread it around.
  18. Lord Manimal

Lord Manimal Member

Here's another voice for plain ole PVA although I like the rose-art brand as it's 25cents a bottle, and elmers is a dollar. It's just as good; give it a shot, you'll see. The other thing I use that's on the pricey side is Hobbytown USA brand triple thick superglue. On almost everything I built, I touch a dab or two of superglue, then white glue around it, so I'm not stuck sitting there holding edges together forever. The tiny bit of superglue holds the peices together, and the rose-art pva glue bonds it more permanently. I've got some paperstuff I did back in the 80's as a kid in this manner, and it's still not showing any signs of wearing out.
  19. Jef

Jef New Member

Try Revell Contacta Liquid Special for hard part . For me work :thumb:
  20. Charlewood

Charlewood New Member

...I use mostly Lepage's White and Aileen's Tacky glues. I am still trying to find my preferred way of laminating, for the moment I glue large pieces with 3m Super 77 and just started using Aileen's Glue Stick for small part laminating, seems to work great and which I like a lot. I Use CA (super glue) for stiffening parts.