Can anyone give me some advice?

Discussion in 'RC Aircraft & Watercraft' started by bigredguy, Feb 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigredguy

bigredguy New Member

I am looking to start flying rc planes as a hobby and i was wondering what is the best way to get started. I have 0 stick time but i am very crafty and learn fast. I think i like the idea of glow over e-power but it may be an ignorant opinion. Would like anything you have to share.

The Newb
  2. Steve M

Steve M Member

If you have a local model airplane club then I recommend you go to a meeting and ask your questions there.

Most people I know learned how to fly in a .40 size glow trainer. Some built the plane themselves while others bought an ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) kit and both have been successful routes. Don't overlook a good second hand plane and motor. They can represent excellent value.
  3. Fastsky

Fastsky Member

Look in the phone book for hobby stores that sell RC airplanes. They should be able to provide some contact phone numbers for nearby RC clubs. Get in touch with them and get their advise. Most RC clubs provide free RC instruction and it will save you tons of $$ by preventing crashes while you learn. Most clubs have buddy boxes but may only have 1 or 2 brands at the club. Thats why I say to contact them before buying anything. Theres no point in buying a JR brand radio if the club only has Futaba buddy boxes. Sure you can always buy your own but why add to the starting up costs if you don't have to. You can buy a pre-assembled plane but it won't teach you much. Building a trainer from a good kit such as a Sig LT40 will teach you how a plane is built which will help you down the road. Repairs won't be so intimidating because you know how its put together. The kits have all the parts cut out to fit and easy to follow instructions with pictures. They are not hard to build but do take some time. Most flyers build in the Winter and fly in the Summer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.