Campbell Fine Scale Models

Jim T

Does Cambell Fine Scale Models have their own webpage? I've been searching and find dealers, but not their own webpage.

Tnx, Jim

Russ Bellinis

I suspect that Campbell does not have a web site. I checked on Google, and usually I think the manufacturer's web site would come up on the first page before dealers. Also I found a site on about the 4th page of listings that claimed to be an exhaustive directory of 1/87 scale cars. On page one of their directory they listed Campbell Scale Models, but had no link to a web site. Any companies that had a web page had the name underlined, and clicking on the name would link you to the site.

RailRon

Jim, you say "Fine Scale" Models.
Could it be that you mean Fine Scale Miniatures - the fantastic kits from George Sellios?
The are here - but ALL their kits are sold out :(

Campbell doesn't have an own website (at least I never found one)
Hope this helps

Ron

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Jim,
This website shows all of the structures he made for sale

www.finescaleminiatures.com

Shamus
waver.gif

Leo Campbell is elderly and has been in poor health for several years. His family has been running the business but has made no effort to update the product line or design/release new kits. (I was told all of this in a conversation at the 98 NMRA National Convention.) So it's unlikely that they have a website either.

For whatever this is worth: A good source for discounted Campbell kits is Valley Model Trains. I have done business with Pat Henebery, VMT's owner, on several occasions. He's friendly and offers good, fast service on every order.

http://www.valleymodeltrains.com/

Jim T

Tnx all for the input. I've not only found out about Campbell Scale Models but have been introduced to three other neat websites as well. I've also discovered a lot of Campbell info at Arizona Rock and Mineral at: http://www.rrscenery.com/ I guess a next logical question is how are these kits to build?

Cheers, Jim

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
next logical question is how are these kits to build?

I have built a couple of Campbell kits, and found them very enjoyable projects. They are "craftsman" kits, and do require time and patience. Many of the wood parts have to be cut to size, and the metal parts need some cleanup. By comparison, most plastic kit parts need some cleanup.
Pete

Gary Pfeil

I love Campbell kits. They are just about the same as scratchbuilding. When you open the box you find bundles of strip wood and packs of window/door castings, roof shingles of gummed tape and corrugated sidinf if appropriate. What makes these kits stand out are the detailed step by step instructions and great drawings which make building them easy yet challenging. They serve as great learning tools. Pick one up, you won't be sorry.

Gary

I agree with what Gary and Pete had to say about the kits.

They are craftsman kits for sure. You need time, patience, and a few basic tools, but they build up into very nice structures and lineside details.

Over the years, I have built 7 of Campbell's kits. I have one more under construction and three more waiting on the "to do" shelf. Of the ones I have finished, I'd have to say the "Wharf" was the easiest, though very time-consuming. The drawings and templates were excellent. By far, the most complex was "Saez Sash & Door Machine Shop, Shed and Hopper." It was also by far the most time-consuming of the ones I've done.

Of the few I have, if I had to recommend one to someone who had never built a Campbell kit before, I'd say you can't go wrong with "Campbell Supply Co." It wasn't too difficult to assemble, though there are a few "tricky" subassemblies, and it builds up into a very nice looking structure.

RailRon

After Gary, Pete and Casey I come in as the fourth to praise Campbell. I can underline all they said about these kits.

There is a wide spectrum of complexity in these kits. I would recommend to try one of the easier and less expensive kits first. My personal favorite (probably because I started out with this kit) is the 'Wayside Freight Station': Kit #361, $33.20 at Valley Model trains. I think this is a building you can use somewhere on ANY layout. (And it is even easier to build up than the 'Campbell Supply Co.' - hope you don't feel offended by that, Casey :eek: )

Ron

The 'Wayside Freight Station' on my first experimental layout in H0n3 - withound ground cover when I made the pic :(

Attachments

• campbellfrtshed.jpg
    campbellfrtshed.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 181

Jim T

Thank you much for the info. I've been looking at the huge variety of Campbell bldgs and am amazed that a company could produce so many different ones. So far the only wooden bldgs I've built are a small Blair yard bldg and an AMB yard office. I really like building the wooden kits more than plastic ones and can see where it could become addictive!! That Wayside Freight Station might just make a good next step.

Cheers, Jim

Ron, you did a very nice job with your Wayside Freight. It's a good looking structure. (And no, I'm not offended. It probably is a better choice for getting started with craftsman kits.)

BTW: seeing your posts here reminded me that I owe you an email. I think you sent the last one before Christmas. :eek:

RailRon

Thank you Casey.

It will be installed again on the new Trim Creek & Western. I plan to add a complete office interior, plus a lot of crates and barrels on the platform. And of course a few LPBs to move that stuff around when a boxcar arrives! :)

Ron