calling all aussies

Discussion in 'International Modelers' started by mick, Jan 26, 2004.

1. marc

marc New Member

Hi all
    im from Townsville
    got into paper modelling after looking for info on ww2 planes
    found fiddlersgreen and downloaded the ME262 they had at the time
    loved it
  2. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

I'm from Townsville too.
    I have only been Cardmodelling for a year and a bit.
    I'm into planes, tanks and sci-fi, - started out as a wargamer.
    Good to see other Aussies involved. :D
  3. mick

mick Member

good to see more aussies join. I haven't had much time to post been 2 busy doing other things :(
  4. marc

marc New Member

where in townsville are you
    im in kirwan
    hmm bit windy yesterday :|
  5. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

Wulguru (been told it means "Windy place" which is apt)
    I also was introduced to serious Card modelling by FG's Me262.

I couldn't believe a paper model could look that good.
    Fooled a lot of my friends.

Of course now I know there is heaps of good stuff out there. :D
  6. marc

marc New Member

haha same one i started on
    at the moment im doing trotskiys p38
  7. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

I am also becoming involved in card modelling here in Mudgee.
    I have almost completed my second ship (Uruguayan cruiser free download) and have done a small WW1 aircraft as well.
    My interest mainly lies in ships especially unusual ones.
    I plan to start the Oslabya (the free download version NOT DN higher quality one) next or maybe a chinese cruiser of 1894 (also free download).
    I am interested in ideas from others about how they do things and the usual tips and tricks.
    I will post some pics when I tidy things up a bit.

8. raiwong

raiwong Member

Hi Peter,
    May I know where you got the free download of the Chinese cruiser? It is interesting to know that the Chinese also had cruisers during the Imperial period. Also I found a website with free ship model plans and drawings. The address is

9. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

10. raiwong

raiwong Member

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the link and info.

11. Hi I'm Russell from Adelaide and I've just joined, also just stated building cardstock models and love it.
  12. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

Do any of you know Bob Pounds from Canberra? I'm trying to contact him, but can't find a working email address.

13. PapaBear

PapaBear Member

Hi all, Hans from Melbourne.
    Am I too late for this roll call? I just joined the forum not long ago.

Okay, I'm have a modeling background, mostly in plastic and scratchbuilt until they just got plain too expensive for my back pocket. I built paper models as a kid so I guess in looking for a viable alternative, I've moved into paper big time.

So that's where I am and here I am...

Anymore from Melbourne?
  14. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Transplanted Aussie...

I live in the US now... but plan on visiting Melbourne again next year. It's been a while. I miss it...

Just saying hi.

PS I suppose you all get most of your models online down there? I was wondering whether anyone knew of any shops that carry card models in Sydney or Melbourne.

John Griffin.
  15. PapaBear

PapaBear Member

Yeah, I have bought a couple from online auctions but for the most part, I've been downloading subjects of interest from wherever that's free. I don't think I've found card models in any of the model shops here, but I do find the odd treasure from a secondhand bookshop or book sale that have some 'decent' paper models of planes, etc. But none from the major paperkit manufacturers.

I have the trial version of Papekura and been playing with that a lot. I'm thinking of contributing to the scene, but would like to start with an Australian flavour.
    I have a strong background in 3D modelling and animation so that would help when it comes time to design the models. Anyone for Sir Hubert's sub?

16. I've been busy building cradstock buses that's seems to be my thing now although I do still do trucks and some cars. I'm having trouble with a Aston Martin which doesn't want to print brcause of some program problem but I'll sort it out and get it done soon, it looks a heaps good model.
  17. Grizz

Grizz Member

I'm living in Adelaide. I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Now I am on holidays I am getting into the basics of modelling. Anyone know of any outlets in adelaide for card models? Buggered if I can find any.
    Where do you guys buy your card stock from and what type of stock?

18. charliec

charliec Active Member

I don't know about Adelaide but I think your chances of finding any outlet in Oz selling cardmodels is pretty remote. I've found it's either download or buy on line - there are some good online shops - postage is a bit of a killer to Australia though - see the adlinks on the home page of

Buying cardstock usually takes a bit of hunting around but keeping it generic...

Officeworks carries card - the selection mightn't be good though because it's low volume for them.

Office supply shops often carry card - I've bought 120, 160, 210 gsm from various office supply shops.

Some of the larger stationers have card in various finishes and weights.

Scrapbooking/craft/art shops sometimes have card - but charge like Mallee bulls for it.

19. Grizz

Grizz Member

Thanks Charlie,

I'm hoping to pick up some supplies with the christmas sales. I'll pop out to Officeworks and see what my 'local' has. Thanks for the gsm weights, I can't figure out the lbs figures used elsewhere in the forums.

20. Yea finding an outlet for cardstock models in Adelaide is near to mission impossible, you would be better doing what I do and go online I live in Adelaide as well and gave up looking and went back to online stuff anyway they're a whoe lot better, also try buying on line even though I don't as I don't have a credit card, I still get some great stuff of the net.