Callen's Feed & Grain (N Gauge)

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
This is another 28 yr old structure built from scribed styrene and Campbell's corrugated roofing. Windows are from an older plastic kit. The fuel tank is from an N gauge tank car supported on balsa trestling.

I want to share a technique for lettering with you.
To get lettering like "Callan's" in any colour you want which isn't available from Lettraset here is how to do it:-

1) Apply the colour you want the lettering to be over the area the lettering will occupy. You can have as many "bands" of colours as you wish. In "Callan's" it was gold. Allow to dry thoroughly.

2) Apply the lettering (black or white or whatever colour you have) onto the painted band of colour. This lettering is now effectively a mask.

3) Paint over the whole area including the lettering. In this case it was blue. Allow to dry thoroughly.

4) Apply masking tape or a not-too-sticky sellotape over the area and peel it away. The tape will lift your dry transfer lettering and leave the colour you selected underneath visible. The top coat paint should remain intact.

5) Now apply any other lettering you want on the area.

This technique is not my idea, I'm simply passing it on to you. It should also work on Locomotives and cars where there are few 3D details under the Lettraset. (I put in a disclaimer as far as loco and rolling stock lettering is concerned :D :D )

By the way, ANY dry trasfer lettering should work, not just Lettraset's. It's worth a try........ enjoy.

Errol

Attachments

• callans feed.jpg
    callans feed.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 207
C

Catt

Geez Errol, Your models just keep getting better and better.I think I'm getting jealous :D :D

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Catt, you're too kind, actually, I was admiring the improvement in my photography! :) . Main reason for the post was to pass on the tip about lettering.

Charlie, steal away.... (I'll invoice you for one beer later :) ).

The idea behind this forum (I'm sure Catt will agree) is multifunctional:-

1) Yes, it's good to get compliments/suggestions/criticisms.
2) It helps inspire others with shapes, sizes, colours, settings etc.
3) It shows what can be done with various materials on various subjects.
4) It's a very inexpensive magazine to peruse daily.
5) It keeps Catt busy moderating it.... :) . Catt I'll send you a beer just to show we care about you. (Just don't get picky on the brand of beer :) ).

Errol

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
A great model Errol. A very good tip but the only problem is no stores here sell letraset anymore. Where do you get yours?
Also grain elevators here are served by railways so is there a track nearby?

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Better and Better

Gosh Errol, I absolutly cannot tell that your models are almost 30 years old. :D GREAT WORK!! They look like they just came off the bench.:D

I had read about the sign method you described but had never tried it. Now that I see the "super" results I'm making a trip to the art store this weekend for some Lettraset:D :D Cant' wait to try it on a brick building:)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
No luck finding lettraset. I tried the big companies like Office Depot and Staples and local stationary stores but all tell me they don't carry it anymore because computers do what lettraset was used for and there is no longer any demand for it.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Letteraset is nothing but dry transfers, but you get a very large sheet of them in a package. Woodland Scenics has alphabet sets in their line of dry transfers. Check them out.