caliban - challenge #1

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Ok, let's get started!

First, I have more than one building to scratchbuild. I'm going to build 3 modules, each approx. 4 feet long, the first will feature a tunnel and a short stretch of street running track. The projct is inspired by scenes around the SF Bay, like the Tunnel at Bayshore Station, Caltrain Station in SF, Jack London Square in Oakland.

The First building i've build so far is the light blue house below. It's nearly finished and so far not part of the challenge, it will find a new home above the tunnel entrance.

Attachments

• DSC01782.jpg
    DSC01782.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 274

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
SFFD Fire Station No.1

Part one of my challenge:

San Francisco Fire Department Fire Staion No.1, 676 Howard St./Third St.

I need a place for all the Boley and Athearn fire trucks and the hotel on our last trip to San Francisco was right around the corner.
First picture is the prototype, second the plate above the door, third is a mock up made from styrofoam and last one the parts i've prepared so far!

Tobias :wave:

Attachments

• DSCN1627.jpg
    DSCN1627.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 266
  • cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC01786.JPG
    DSC01786.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC01787k.jpg
    DSC01787k.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 261

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
I agree with 88, this challenge ist taking off very well. The next few weeks will be very entertaining. Tobias, very interesting challenge project, really looking forward to see more.

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Thank's!
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
But I#m alittle bit sad, we lost against Italy, again!
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:But despite this, I'm a little on the lucky side, because I've tickets for the tickets for the last game of the German Team in this world cup on Saturday!:thumb:
88fan1, go for it, get the fun!
Thank's Kurt your box car is looking great.
This will be a long summer, so many buildings to scratch and kitbash.
The scratch building list so far:
- SFFD Fire Station
- a laundry shop (pic will below, I found it in the internet)
- "skysraper" (aprox. 10 floors high)
and finally the big one
- The Museum of Sience and Nature,
including interior like dioramas with bears and tigers, a sojus space ship hanging from the roof and probably some more attractions. All buildings will feature lighting and a few interior.

announce1All you MR's out there, get your challenge, share it, get the fun!:thumb:

Thanks for encouraging,

Tobias

PS: some more pics from an older project, a background industrial building from an other module, a maintenance facility for minig trucks and excavators.

Attachments

• dscn00234.jpg
    dscn00234.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC01792.jpg
    DSC01792.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC01790.jpg
    DSC01790.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 248

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Sorry,

I'm a bit lazy and soccer world cup still rules the country!!!!!
And I'm on the way to Stuttgart for the last match of the German national team. Hope they'll come out as winners. So we will be the third in the world.

Tobias

And for the final match on sunday:

Allez les bleus!

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Did first part of the painting, new pics will follow as soon as it is dry. The windows will be clear styrene, the window frame painted on with a white paint pen. I'm going to use a foto of the prototype printed on self adhesive film for the polished stone panels on the lower part of the building.

Thank you all for your support,

Tobias

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
It's going forward, slow but steady!

I added the some paint and the side walls. The styrene for the windows is also prepared. The windows on the prototype are "milky", so I can omit the interior on the upper level.
The SFFD is trying out if it's engine fit in the "new" station. Now the station is waiting for detail painting, doors, imitated stone and the roof in the next step.

Tobias

Attachments

• DSC01868.jpg
    DSC01868.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 151

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
The fire house got it's roof today. I used 600 grid sand paper, cut in stripes for the roof. The stone on the lower part of the building is a foto from the prototype, printed on self adhesive glossy ink jet film. Screwed up the first set of windows, not that easy to get the milky appeal of the prototype windows. Still no doors.

Tobias

Attachments

• DSC01894.jpg
    DSC01894.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC01895.jpg
    DSC01895.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 136

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi folks,

just to let you know, I'm still working on the challenge, but somehow I drifted a bit away. The pictures below are showing the results from drifting away from the challenge project.sign1 Getting those big decals on the shell was ...grmpffff! Took a lot of Micro Sol!!!

New pictures of the fire station will follow soon.

Tobias

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Seite.jpg
    Seite.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 62
  • heck.jpg
    heck.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Front schräg.jpg