Ignorant know it all
Operates under pans!

combo_train.jpg

Calgary Transit C Train

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Nutz... looks like my post describing the history of the C-Train got lost in the crash... :cry: Mind you, so did the original question...

Someone asked if the C-Train actually ran along any Calgary streets. It does, but only in one location: 7th Ave SW. The downtown street was devoted exclusively to the transit, and is only used by the C-train and emergency vehicles... It has 3 legs, South, Northeast, and Northwest, which opened in 1984, 1986, and 1987 respectively... All of the legs have also expanded in recent years.

How do I know this? I grew up in Calgary...

Go Flames! :thumb:

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Pcc 4549 4500

Just to add to our friend mykroft`s post.
As I get into the TTC yards (I work for them ;) ) often. I took my friend from Vancouver transit for a visit to Russell yards. I operated PCC . CLRV and ALRV for 9 years.
So hyere are a few pics

Attachments

• DSC00206.jpg
    DSC00206.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00209.jpg
    DSC00209.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 176
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 166

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I remember prior to the Bloor Subway being built, going downtown with my mom on the streetcar. We would take the Anglesey bus to the loop at Jane and Bloor where we transferred to the Bloor streetcar and travelled to the connection with the Yonge/University subway behind the big Loblaws there. How's that for bringing back some old memories?
:wave: :D :thumb: :D :wave:

Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
How did we get off Calgary?
2 comments on Chris's photos:
The cars were rebuilt in the late 60s, at about 20-25 years of age. The dash lights (lights over the front dash that Chris is leaning on in the first photo) were replaced with much smaller ones. The roof at the back (maybe all over?) was replaced with a fiberglass (?) casting. The box in the middle top is a footstep that used to look right a RR catwalk and was open underneath.
Wild digression: when the trolley coach fleet was re-bodied in the 70s, they also had fiberglass roofs. Apparently, in the first few dewirings, the trolley poles struck the roofs so hard that they shattered. TTC mounted 3" rubber balls on the retriever ropes that would prvent them pulling the poles all the way down. You'd sometimes see an operator tying to pry the rubber ball out of the retriever housing (just under the windows in the last photo).