Calendars to get kids or yourself into the hobby

Discussion in 'Gaming & Toys' started by rickstef, Feb 21, 2007.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

I have been perusing the book aisles at my local BJ's Warehouse Club stores, and I have come across a couple of calendars from Accord Publishing(link here), one features Origami, one has paper aircraft you can toss around, yet another has paper kites made from 8.5x11 paper, and another one has Quilling.

I bought the Quilling one for my mom, she used to teach it, and was interested in what might be new, and I know pretty much alot of the models which were in the origami calendar, I bought the Kite one on Amazon

These calendars might be the thing you might want to get for your children, grandchildren, or if you are like me, for yourself

2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I bought a page-a-day calendar with paper planes a while back. Very cool!
  3. Eric Ferguson

Eric Ferguson Member

Last year, I bought that kite calendar, and darn it, misplaced it somewhere here around the house. Figured it be a good way to break into card modeling. Besides, I like kites....

Today, was over at Borders Books, and *ALL* calendars are on sale for a buck apiece (what I paid for the kite calendar last year <G>). Saw one that was 365 days of Paper Airplanes. Figured, what the heck, let's blow a whole dollar (plus tax). It's out in the car right now. Maybe I'll start learnin' what this hobby is all about (g). Trouble is, I've been told by a number of people that I'm a *perfectionist*. I can't stand not doing things right, which is what keeps me from startin'. Especially on something I've never done before. And I've failed miserably on folding paper airplanes in the past.

Any whoozits, I *will* give it a go soon (did I mention that I'm also a person that puts off till tomorrow, what can be done today....Can't think of the right word for that, Senior Moment <G>!

Two of the projects I want to do in the future is that Cleopatra Monolith boat, and if I *ever* get the guts up, that Gemini model with the interior. But I have a lot of downloaded free stuff (including some of your Woodengraver, that I will practice on.

BTW woodengraver, I downloaded a copy of your tiny castle, but there were NO instructions...I haven't a clue on some parts, and forgive a *dumb* question.... I printed it up on plain paper. My printer won't handle too heavy a paper. Would plain be a good medium for *that* particular project. Also, my printer did not give qiute the right colors, but close. Thanks!!!!

Eric (total beginner)
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Here are the humble instructions for tiny castle.
    This was one of my very first and the colors are not good.
    It is on the drawing board for a renovation.

Edited in* It would help if I paid attention...
    I think paper would work, if any parts were too thin, just double the thickness of paper.
  5. Eric Ferguson

Eric Ferguson Member

Thanks Phil!!!! Downloaded the instructions, much appreciated!!!! BTW, THANKS for all those cool projects on one page. You're determined to make me go out, buy tools and glue, and make me start tryin' to do some of these thingies....<GG>!!!! BTW, found the kite calendar due to an earthquake (literally!!!!). 4.2 about 10 miles from here in the S.F. Bay Area. Some stuff fell behind a bureau here, and there it was. How it got there....????

Again MANY THANKS!!!!! Soon as I start something, I'll try to figure how to post some pix on my first tries.