CAD Cutter

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Larek, May 25, 2007.

1. Larek

Larek New Member

Does anyone have and experance, or recomendations for Pro Craft Critcut and/or GraphTech's CraftROBO.

Both can connect to a PC (although critcut plays that down alot), and neather have very good documantaion on what they can or can't do.

Questions I have are for anyone who has used these before:

What can you do over the Critcut's USB connection? (the Carrages are kind useless, unless your a grade school teacher)

Can the CraftROBO Cut on blank card stock, or does it always have to be printed on first?

Can CravftROBO preforate, for folds, and for tairing?

Can either Machines software, use Vector image data, or can it only find edges on Raster images?

Things you don't like about either Machine?

Other Machines you like Better?

2. stewrat5

stewrat5 New Member

Hi, Larek

I own and sell CraftRobos.

The CR can cut blank cardstock. You don't have to print something on it first.

Lines can be specified to be complete cuts, or various levels of perforation, according to the color you assign to the line. It is ideal for making folding lines and tear-offs.

The software for the CR (called RoboMaster) uses vectors to represent the lines, but it stores them in it's own proprietary format, .gsd. It can also load .dxf files, which some programs can export (InkScape). RoboMaster can take a raster image and trace it with cutlines.

Drawbacks with the CR:
    1. RoboMaster software is only moderately powerful, and can be frustrating at times
    2. InkScape is free and more powerful, but switching between InkScape and RoboMaster is a minor inconvenience
    3. The CR has trouble getting through the thick cardstock. You can get around this by having the blade cut the lines twice.
    4. Requires a moderate amount of computer savvy and patience to get familiar with it, but it is worth it!

Good things about the CR:
    1. There is quite a community which generates tutorials and sample patterns. One of them is mine:
    2. There are a number of forums that scrapbookers have created to exhange ideas and advice. Just go to yahoo groups and search for craftrobo.
    3. Can use any TT font or any image as a starting point for your design.

Versus the Cricut, the CraftRobo is the winner for flexibility. I did not know the Cricut had a USB, but I know that it is primarily a stand-alone unit that you plug font/image cartridges into. Although the Cricut is a bit cheaper, if you keep buying cartridges to get the fonts and patterns you want, it can equal or surpass the CR. Cricut is designed for scrapbookers, and I would guess that it won't do the things you want to create paper models.

If you want to cut thicker materials (chipboard, fun foam, etc) you might consider the Klic-N-Kut. Take a look at or for a comparison of available cutters.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I would be glad to help. And, if you decide to buy a CR or KNK, I can make you a great deal!

3. Gil

Gil Active Member

4. Larek

Larek New Member

It does but the drivers are not yet released. Currently the USB only supports Firmware updates to the machine. User-PC based software is currently in development.

I'm moving away from the idea of getting a Cricut anyway. So I'm now looking at CraftRobo, and Klic-N-Kut.

What are people opinions/reviews on the Robomaster VS Klick-N-Cut Studio. How well to the Adobe illustrator plugins work (does anyone use them)?

I know that paperthreads prefers Klick-N-Cut Studio over Robomaster but does anyone else agree?
  5. stewrat5

stewrat5 New Member

I have not used KNK Studio. Objective people that I trust have said that it is the best of the available software. Take a look at the KNK Studio review at Info About KNK/
    to get a review.

As a Robomaster & Inkscape user I can do quite a bit, but it can be a frustrating at times, switching between the two programs to get what I want. wall1

I know that several people use the AI plugin, and seem happy with it. I can't say that I have ever seen a complaint.

Price is another big factor. At my site,, you will pay around $269 for a CR, while the current KNK is in the area of $1299. However, there is a new KNK Element that will be shipping soon that is a much more reasonable $550. If you plan to be an intermediate to advanced user of these cutters, and you can wait until the KNK Element is released, I would wait.

I hope this helps,