Caboose track & serving area....

Iron Goat

1st Off.... "The GAUGE is back".... Hooray!

Now for my question... I am laying out my "empire-in-progress" and I would like to include a caboose servicing area (inbetween my yard area, and my locomotive servicing facility area). Does anyone know of a photo/literature information source for such a critter?

Thanks...

Iron Goat

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Woodland Scenics made a track-side scene of a caboose servicing shack with a sand bin. If they still offer it, there should be a picture on their web site...

EDIT - they do offer it, but since they use frames it is difficult to point you directly to the page. It is listed under "Trackside Scenes" in the "Figures & Scenes" drop-down.

Andrew

shaygetz

I was thumbing thru my old MRs recently and they had an article on caboose servicing facilities. It centered around a caboose that had had its wheels and railings removed and set on old ties to use as a storage building for kerosene and fuses. A garden hose was set up for water and a small enclosed bin was used to store coal. I'll have to find the article because the coal bin looked like a miniature coaling tower without the stilts, really full of character.

shaygetz

Thanks, Ron, with a month and year, I can go thru my 450+ MRs in about 10 minutes. If you're interested in a copy of the article Goat, let me know and I'll send one off to you.

Iron Goat

Caboose Track...

Mason Jar, Shaygetz, and RailRon...

Thanks for your replies and good information.

***** Shatgetz: if it is not too much trouble, I really would appreciate a copy of that article*****

Thanks,
Iron Goat@comcast.net

shaygetz

Goat, Ken, I can email them to you---6 pages at 700k per page---or email me a snail mail address and I'll kite them off to you.

Iron Goat

Shaygetz,

I should be able to receive that amount.... have you attempted to forward it yet?
Thank you again for the the information.

Iron Goat

brakie

The caboose servicing tracks would include a small building for supplies and RIP parts,a coal bin for coal or in recent years a fuel tank to hold fuel for the caboose's fuel tank for the stove..Now you will need a dedicated switch crew to handle adding or removing cabooses from inbound or outbound trains.You see this was not the yard crews job.Their job is to build or break down trains according to switch lists. :D

shaygetz

Sir_Prize said:
Got the Snail mail today. Hmmm... Yup! That would make a neat little service spot.

THANKS!! :wave: :wave: :thumb:

I know...but I've got enough unbuilt stuff to keep me busy as it is. Glad you got it, my town's lil' Post Office makes me proud. Only mailed it Saturday...