Caboose hand throws

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Itsed65, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Itsed65

Itsed65 New Member

I just recieved a bunch of the caboose industries hand throws for my atlas code 55 turnouts. The little packages have pretty scarce directions with no pitctures and I haven't qutie figured out how they work. I looked at thier website, but that wasn't any help. Does anyone know where I can find instructions with pictures on how these go together? Thanks :thumb:
  2. 2slim

2slim Member

I agree there is not much info on how these install, doesn't matter which scale either. I'll try to explain based on my experience. I'm not aware that CI makes any other type than what I call the 'flop-over' type hand throw for N scale. It's the type with the little handle that sticks out of a barrel shaped part and flops either one way or the other. If you have something different then I won't bore you with my explanation.

3. Itsed65

Itsed65 New Member

Yep, those are the ones I have! Any help is much appreciated, thanks:thumb:

4. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

I recieved 14 of these little fellows for christmas as well.
    I too would be interested in you tutorial there Slim.
  5. Tad

Tad Member

I use the Caboose Industries ground throws that are sprung. They are indicated by the having an S as a suffix. I think the sprung ones are better because they provide tension to keep the points locked against the stock rails.

This is a Caboose Industries 218S groundthrow kit with an Atlas Custom Line turnout and a green pin and a red pin. I use the pins to indicate primary and diverging routes.

I decide which is the primary route and which is the alternate route. With the points and groundthrow centered, I insert the pins in the appropriate sides in the spike holes on the groundthrow. On this turnout on my layout the primary route is through the diverging (curved) route on the turnout.

Center the points of the turnout.

Center the handle of the ground throw. (Straight up)

Position the groundthrow the proper distance from the turnout and insert the pin on the ground throw oeprating arm into the hole on the point operating arm of the turnout.

Ensure that the points are still centered and that the groundthrow arm is still centered.

Push the pins into the terrain base.

Primary route selected.

Alternate route selected.

You can also use some cement or glue on the bottom of the turnout base if your scenery is completed and your track is painted and you do not anticipate having to move/remove the ground throw.

Hope this helps.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Tad didn't mention that the casting with all the weird bits at the top of the first photo contains connectors for a variety of makes of turnout. I think the one with the round hole is for Peco, but I'm not sure about the others.
    If you use Peco turnouts, the center spring makes it hard to leave the points in the middle. (I slide bits of wooded tie in to get things even.) I put the turnout to one side and the ground throw to the extreme position and mark the position of the holes. Then I change both to the other side and mark the new position.. (Don't force the sprung throws.) Then I mark the middle of the holes and fasten the throw there.
  7. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Thanks Tad and David.
  8. ejen34

ejen34 Member

Not to bump an old thread I wish to Thank Tad for this great tutorial on Caboose throws :thumb: