Caboose drawing

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Greg Elems, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

While Bachmann has nice On30 equipment, their caboose doesn't really meet my tastes. With that in mind, I figured I'd build a new On30 caboose and rob the innards and trucks. This drawing is what I came up with. While not fully detailed out, this is the basic look of the caboose. Just thought I'd run it by the-gauge.

Attached Files:

2. Catt

Catt Guest

Looks good to me ,Greg.I will be needing some cabeese for my narrowgauge GVR division and this looks workable to me.
  3. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Greg, I agree with you on the length issue. I'm just sort of chicken to start hacking a caboose apart.:rolleyes: I would love to make one about the same length as the boxcars...and have a combine door in the side, along with a pool table and easy chair inside. This would be some sort of caboose customized by the local gang for their own use. Plausible? Likely not, but hey...
  4. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Why not hack a boxcar into a caboose? Seems like something a crew would do if they couldn't get "Headquarters" to send them what they need. Add a cupola and leave the sliding door on the side to get the pool table inside.

5. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Looks good to me! You could bash it from the Bachmann, by adding the extra side, and roof length.

I bumped the On30 Conspiracy thread, check out page 1 about half way through. With the extension it's the same length as your drawing.
  6. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I could use the Bachmann by adding extra length to the sides and roof. I won't do it, since the roof on the Bachmann has a peak and the caboose I'm drawing has a round roof. I also dislike the Bachmann cupola, too narrow IMHO. I would also have to enlarge the side windows, also too small IMHO. What could be done to the Bachmann would take as much work or more than just cutting new sides and roof from scribed styrene. The steps, brake wheel, smoke stack and end ladders will be transplanted to the new caboose. I guess it would be a scratch bash? I'm thinking the frame could be lengthened but again, scratch building one maybe just as quick.

Thank you for your positive comments and ideas.
  7. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

And just as much fun! As much as I like to kitbash, sometimes there's no way for it but to scratchbuild, and yes, it usually is quicker.
    Post some pics as you go, this will be interesting.
  8. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

How about a

Bay window Caboose for On30?

I agree that the Bachmann Caboose isn't the most attractive. And I do prefer a wide capola...