C32-8 in n scale?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by alcuin, Feb 23, 2008.

1. alcuin

alcuin Member

Might anyone know if theres an n scale version of GE's C32-8? It's one of my favorite locomotives and would love to have one on my layout, but it's just not coming up on the radar.

2. railohio

railohio Active Member

No, and there's not a readily available model of it in any scale either.
  3. alcuin

alcuin Member

Alas ... I guess there' can't be models of everything, but I would have thought that the first of the six-axle dash-8's would have been a good candidate.
  4. railohio

railohio Active Member

Only ten were built for one railroad and even with the proliferation of second-hand owners there still aren't enough road names to make it viable for a manufacturer. There have been articles on making one over the years, but not in N scale, to my knowledge.

5. alcuin

alcuin Member

That's true, although the similar c39-8 was owned by a few more railroads. That too would be a nice one to see in n scale.
  6. railohio

railohio Active Member

A C39-8 would have a slightly broader appeal, but it's still a rather obscure locomotive. Passing one off as the other would be a tough sell, too, given the different lengths and number of hood access doors.

7. jimk

jimk New Member

There have been several locomotives produced in N scale that only a few of the prototype railroads owned. Here is a list of a few I could think of.

DD40, U50, F59PH, P42, SD80MAC, GG1

So we can't rule out the C32-8 or C39-8. I'm not sure if the C39-8 is the same length the C40-8, if they are, maybe Atlas can make one to fit the C40-8 mechanism, or someone could make a body shell to fit it. I'd be in for a few either way. I think the C32-8 is a little shorter.
  8. railohio

railohio Active Member

The DD40 is a glorified train set engine from Bachmann. Chalk it up to a fluke. The U50 is from Con-Cor and it's hard to figure out why they do anything that they do. Fluke number two. The F59PH is more obscure than you know as it had only two railroads purchasing it new, GO Transit in Canada and Metrolink in California. Some of the units have seen proliferation on the secondhand market, too. It's also not available in N scale. You were probably referring to the F59PHI which is offered by Athearn and is owned by many more railroads. The P42, like the F59PHI, is a modern passenger engine and thus has broader appeal, even beyond prototype modelers. The SD80MAC shares the same frame as the SD90MAC and was an easy add-on model for Kato to produce. The GG1, and probably to some extent, the SD90/80MAC is produced by Kato and it's been well-documented that the company's North American offerings are more at the whim of the owner's interests than any real market forces. Aside from that, it's carried multiple owners over the decades including one of the most over-hyped railroads in the world. It carries appeal, again, beyond prototype modelers.

The C39-8 is indeed the same length as the C40-8, so it's entirely possible that Atlas will someday take pity on us and offer one. It is, however, as you said, longer than the C32-8 and an unsuitable model to pass off as one.

9. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Is the C32-8 the same length as a C30-7?
  10. railohio

railohio Active Member

Nope. My reference book says a C30-7 is 67' 3" and a C32-8 is 67' 11". Besides, what's the odds of Kato even rerunning the C30-7, much less producing an entirely new locomotive?
  11. alcuin

alcuin Member

I'd be happy with either the c32 or the c39. I'm not at the point where I need this particular model with this particular road number with this particular spot of rust on the fuel tank. I just like the hunchback look of the thing.