C&HV Power!

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I thought I would share a picture of 4 of my N scale C&HV units.
The units was custom painted by TankerToad70 who also took the pictures..I have added MT couplers to the 200 and 205 since the picture was taken..The 100 class is GP7 while the 200 class is GP9s. These are Atlas geeps.

Attachments

• c_hvgp9s.jpg
    c_hvgp9s.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 170

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
No Tyson you eyes are just fine..That red you are looking at is the part of the hood that runs through the cab of the Atlas locomotives in both HO and N scale..I really hate that about a Atlas loco.:mad: I am not sure on what to do to correct this problem as it bugs me to no end..I talk to Rob of Atlas and that part is what hold the shell together should not be cut off.:eek:
I thought about painting that part of the hood black but that would show up even worst...BTW that is why I changed the colors on my HO C&HV units from the "Red Bird" scheme to Black with white frames.You don't notice the hood quite as much.-A lesson learned.

The windows by the why is clear except on 102 and 207 which I have removed the side widow glass as is my norm.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,Tyson,I am glad you said that about painting the hood inside of the cab dull black...Like I said I thought it would look worst but,I will give it a try and see what the end results will be...Thanks for the suggestion.:D

Nice looking Alcos there Tyson..:D

C

Catt

Painting the area inside the cab that shows through the windows flat /dull black is SOP on the GVR.I don't understand why ATLAS doesn't do this during production.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Those are some great lookin' geeps, Larry!
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Originally posted by brakie
....I thought about painting that part of the hood black but that would show up even worst...
I beg to differ with you on this point, though...
Give the black paint a try!
Many years ago, I spent a summer as a carpenter/set builder for a theater company...
Most of my job consisted of building 2 dimentional "backscenes"...bushes, trees, buildings, etc, made from plywood & timber framing, that were painted by a set painter.
At one point, I expressed concern to the painter that some of the bare wood was going to be visible from the front of the stage.
His response was, "Paint it black, then it's invisible."
This sounded kind of goofy to me at the time...What I didn't realize was that this guy was an artist, & understood the basic science of color...that is - black absorbs light, colors reflect it.
In other words, a viewer's eye is going to be drawn away from the black, & only sees the color...the black simply becomes, to the viewer's eye, shadowy spaces between colors.
This little piece of advice has paid off again & again in the context of my model railroading...if there's some unmodeled area where you don't want a viewer's eye latching onto...interiors, etc...black paint will hide such elements.
Here's an example on my own layout...
This is a shot of an open loading dock door. The "interior" of the structure is nothing more than 2 pieces of styrene...a horizontal "floor" under the figure, & a vertical "wall" behind it.
By painting the styrene black, the viewer doesn't spot the fake...hopefully, they only see the figure & the barrel, & discount the rest as the shadowy interior of a building.

Attachments

• gvr-evm.jpg
    gvr-evm.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 133

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Charlie,I thought the black might shown up like a sore thumb on those red units so,I did not paint the inside of the cabs and wasn't sure how to fix the problem till Tyson suggested dull black paint...So,like I said I am going to paint the inside of the cab dull black..:D

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Nice looking engines there. I like the red paint scheme, try and keep it. The suggestion about painting the plastic hood inside the cab flat black is the quickest and easiest solution. If you want the color of the interior, there are several colors to choose from. EMD delivered the inside of the cabs painted in a Sea Mist Green. As railroads repainted them over time, a light gray, dark gray and brownish drift wood color have been used. Those colors have been used by SP. UP and WP. If you do go with the cab interior color other than the flat black, you might want to paint a silhouette of the control stand in flat black.

Greg

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Ray asked:
Does it show up as much in person? or is it a photographic illussion?

Ray,When I removed the side windows from the 200 and 205 they don't look that bad in person.The 207 and the 102 had the side glass removed before painting and don't look all that bad but,still enough for me to want to fix the problem so,as I mention I will paint one unit with the dull black and see how it looks..If not then I will try the green interior.

Greg,You gave me a idea..I could make a control stand out of ABS plastic and copy it from the control stand found in the newer Atlas HO locos.Shouldn't be hard to do..

Guys,I started back into N scale and decided to stay in HO..However,I did keep some of my N scale just in case I find I wanted a bigger layout then the C&HV Jackson Yard in HO..I am still a N scaler at heart...:D Yes,I kept those Geeps as well as 4 others that still need painted in C&HV which I will have done some time in the near furture as one never knows what lays ahead..