C-46 Commando

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Paragon, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I'm looking for some good flat views or drawings of the Curtis C-46 Commando, because I'd like to design a model of it sometime. I always like to find subjects that haven't recieved much attention and provide it for them.

Right now, the only source I've been able to locate is a book about the C-46, which, while it appears to have wonderful 3-view technical drawings, I frankly can't afford to buy right now. I've tried all of my typical blueprint sites, Google, etc, to no avail. The only place I've found the kinds of drawings I'm looking for is in an aircraft book I have, but those images are simply too small to work from.

So if anyone has any good reference pictures of the C-46, not photos, whether they're just black lines on white paper, or colored, let me know, and see if there's a way you could get them to me.

On a similar note, I'm also having trouble finding good images of the C-47 (DC-3), which I found very surprising. Its not a priority though.

Edit: I just made a really great find by augmenting my searches some:

More will still be helpful.
  2. Krzychu74

Krzychu74 Member

3. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Thats excellent! Exactly what I was looking for. Do you mind telling me how to surf that site though? I can't read...whatever language it appears to be in.
  4. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

I'm pretty sure that somewhere I saw a REALLY nice cad drawing of the C-46 on a website with 3d aircraft models. I think it had both the CAD drawing and the 3d.

5. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I don't actually use 3D meshes for my models, I design them with Photoshop, so all I need are the different views.
  6. Krzychu74

Krzychu74 Member

Hello Paragon!
    If I good understood you (my English isn't too good) you want address of the entire side? Here it is:
    plan 3-vues

Best regards.
  7. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

C-46 5 views and paint schemes

I have exactly what you need, better than just a simple 3-view. This is one of a huge series of drawings by Chris Bowley executed for Aviation Magazine (UK publication) back in the 70's. It includes fuselage cross-sections and side views showing different liveries.

The drawings are approximately 1/48 scale with a scale bar for pure accuracy.

I imagine I can get copies made at Kinko's or I have a photostand to give you accurate tiff images.

It's your choice.

PM me.
  8. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Thank you, that helps a lot. Apparently I've been using an older version of the site somehow that doesn't include nearly that many aircraft.

Just so you all know, this model will probably not be incredibly detailed. All of my models are relatively simple, and while not completely inaccurate, not entirely accurate either. I suggest you take a look at my website to see what I mean.

Basically, if someone wants a really large, detailed kit, they should probably make it themselves.
  9. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

C-46 drawings

Sorry this took so long. I lost the disc!

Any chance of you considering doing a large scale detailed model? Though I cannot use the software for papermodeling, I can generate 2D in Autocad. I can do the betabuild and post the build.

No one has ever done this aircraft in anything other than 1/72 scale (Williams Bros plastic kit). A 1/48 or 1/33 scale model would open some eyes! I was thinking of a parts breakdown similar to the real aircraft with upper/lower fuselage halves and a center wing stub and outer wing panels.

I have loads of detail photos, too.

Let me know if you are up to it. This could be a long term project.

Send me your email and I will pass along the two sheet plan files.

10. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I'm not sure I'm up to a large scale model of it, or a large scale model of anything in particular. You'll notice most of my models are small and not detailed, and thats because I work with nothing but Photoshop. We'll see what happens, but don't expect something too big. And don't expect anything soon either, I'm tied up with other projects at the moment.