Bye Bye F7!!

lv4142003

Jun 2, 2005
I found these 2 photos on the Atlas Forum, a Frateschi electric painted and modified to look like a New Haven EP4, by Acela 82. lv4142003

lv4142003

Jun 2, 2005
Sometimes ones fingers get ahead of ones brain. lv4142003

Attachments

• acela 82 ep4 01 a.JPG
    acela 82 ep4 01 a.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 68
  • acela 82 ep4 02 a.JPG
    acela 82 ep4 02 a.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 70

lv4142003

Jun 2, 2005
It's not my engine. I saw the picture on the Atlas Forum and remembered someone here had speculated what the Frateschi engine would look like modified to resemble a New Haven EP4 (or is it a EP3?). The Guy who did it goes by Acela82 and he did a nice job. Very few people would know the difference (see my parenthesis above- I'm one of the ones who wouldn't know), so I copied the photo and brought it here. lv4142003

Acela82

Jun 4, 2005
Dresden, Germany
A friend of mine just told me "Michael, your EP-4 is in the gauge forum!"

Yes, i built this engine, it was alot of fun. As you mentioned, its not that prototypically but overalle it looks like the prototype. If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to write...

Chris, its not powered from above, but it runs very well. I will add an decoder someday, i have other projects on my workbench first.

Here are some other images from the model in work:

ep4-6.jpg

ep4-7.jpg

Acela82

Jun 4, 2005
Dresden, Germany
Thanks for your comments, here is a little how to:

The engine started as an undecorated single Headlight EP-8, i got it a few months ago. First thing was to grind away all those on-casted fans, handrails etc. I closed the old fan holes and doors with putty and grinded all smooth. A sheet of thin evergreen styrene was used to built the new corrugated fans. A first problem occurs when thinking about the doors. The prototype ones are deepened in the hood, that means lot of work on the model: cutting out the door area and built new ones to install them from the inside. Too much work, i decided and built new ones from thin sheet styrene and glued them on the shell, from the outside. Same problem with the handrails, as the real ones are also deepend in the shell. Too, i installed mine on the outside. That was all regarding the shell. When looking at the gear, i noticed that it is different from the prototype, so my first thinking was to add the complete gear from an IHC GG-1. This one did not fit, as the GG-1 is longer. So i decided not to change the gear at all - its black, so when the engine is on my layout, you can´t see the differences. I painted the shell with a dark green and added decals from Microscale. I reused the original pantographs, but i shortened the contact shoes. After all, i added a slight weathering to the fans, making the curragating looks better.

Beside my freelanced Columbia Southern Railroad, i´m a big fan of electric engines from the United States, so have a few in my collection, here are some of my custom built models:

A few months ago i built a completely freelanced New Haven EP-3C, based on a german Roco model:

ep3c.jpg

I rebuilt an old Bachmann E60:

608-4.jpg

And also rebuilt a few Bachmann E60CF to match the Black Mesa and Lake Powell Prototype:

e60cf4.jpg

At the age of 18, i rebuilt an Lima french electric to Amtraks X996 prototype:

x996modell1.jpg

I have several "from stock" engines in my collection, like AEM-7´s, E33´s, HHP-8, Acele - just brass locomotives are not there yet - but i think they will come in the future, but at first, i have several other kitbashes in my mind.

Hi Michael,
I love to see your models here in forum also. You know I love your models and your fine modelling jobs. You should start a few own threads here to show more of your large collection and scenes of your very nice modules.

Bernhard - from Dresden, Germany

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
Been a while since ive updated this but there has been a big house move and mum got ill, recovered from it and now is getting married so things have been busy over my way!

As for the sparks - got my hands on a grand total of ten B unit shells now so 201 and 202 are about to get some serious electric company (and on the plus side my first 4x2 section of the East Surrey in complete - just havent finished wiring it up for DCC)

Also been kinda busy with possibly the smallest 44 tonner on the gauge, but thats another story!

lv4142003

Jun 2, 2005
Electric F7's

It's been quite a while since this thread has had any additions. I finally purchased a few Bachman F7's, the kind they use for the "Grinch stole Christmas" set and some others. It has no portholes, no intake screens and no rivets. I've spliced 2 of them and set them on an Athearn F7 chassis. I am using Bob Hegge's MR article from 1957, with differences. I am using the newer chassis and replacing the EMD truck sideframes with GE's, they look more "electric-y". I havent figured out how to make and attach the "porches" yet, but they will have to fit in/on the coupler mounting pad for swing from side to side. As soon as I figure out how to post my photos of the unfinished product I'll post them. lv4142003

lv4142003

Jun 2, 2005
electric f7's

I think I'll be able to send thephotos of where I'm at so far.
The 1st photo shows the Bachman body stripped of the graphics. You can see it has no intake grills, no portholes and no rivets.
The 2nd through the 4th show the splice and putty job I did under different lighting conditions, hopefully they show up well.
The 5th photo shows there is a slight mis-alignment of the battens. It appears that Bachman have 2 different manufacturers for this body. There are differences in the width of the battens and their placement and some differences in the windshields. Nothing I'll lose sleep over but something someone might like to know.
You can see I'm using the modern Athearn chassis and the EMD truck sideframes, but they will be replaced with GE sideframes as soon as I find my stash of Athearn trucks. The porches will be next and they will attach at the coupler mount provided. I still need to find suitable "electric" looking trucks for under the porch. Bob Hegge initially used MDC trucks, but I've had no luck finding a set yet. I;ve built a tray in the roof after cutting the fans out. It will require a samll elongated box positioned between the pans. The pantograph is from a Bachman E33 and I only have the one at the moment, but I call Bachman every week to see if they received any in as parts or from returned items. They look really good. lv4142003

Attachments

• Bachman F7 stripped of graphics 102.JPG
    Bachman F7 stripped of graphics 102.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 14
  • F7s spliced together 101.JPG
    F7s spliced together 101.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 16
  • F7s spliced together 102.JPG
    F7s spliced together 102.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 15
  • F7s spliced together 103.JPG
    F7s spliced together 103.JPG