By Your Command...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by BazookaJo, Jan 11, 2007.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

no idea, never seen mirror card

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

What about guilding................. doesn't it come in silver or gold?

A little polish after application and then sealing it should replicate chrome pretty good.

3. Rebostar

Rebostar I do try

You'll be after Plasti-kote Brilliant Metallic then, available at any Wilkinsons store in the Uk. It cost £4.99 a can (which will be more than enough).

I used it on a resin endo-arm I owned, in conjunction with a gloss black enamel and the finish was very very reflective.
    Take a look here to see the effect...
    Although these seem to have a hammered texture, at a guess I would say he was to far away when spraying.
  4. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

Killer Chrome

I have not tried this stuff, but I have seen pictures of what this stuff can do. It is called Killer Chrome. The product website is:

Here's a photo of a shoe treated with the product:

There's a sample can that might be enough to do a helmet. Don't know how much is in it, but it's about $20.00. The results look pretty cool though.
  5. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

Of course we'll need a colonial flight helmet to go with (or against) it.
  6. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Not quite familiar with the process - heard of a few similar products but I've heard the finish comes off very easily.

Hi Rebostar - would like to see this, but I can't get the link to work :(

Been researching this stuff for a while, and although the Killer Chrome ain't bad at $40 it's v.expensive, and if you get the Killer Clear to improve the shine that's another $30 (Will also be more expensive and damn hard to find in the UK).

As I said, Alclad is the cheapest and easiet to get hold of over here, but it would still work out pricey.

Lots to think about though.

7. Rebostar

Rebostar I do try

Try this link instead... Brilliant Metallic Paint/149874/16251/656529

Click on the picture of the spray cans to enlarge.
    Look at the lid, thats pretty much what the finish looks like.

I will say ignore the part where it says touch dry in an hour, don't even breathe on it for a couple of days.
    It is a very thick spray and needs time to harden, so as not to leave fingerprints.

Tip:... stand the can in a bowl of just off the boil water for a minute.
    This will help give you better pressure from the can as well as making the mist finer.
  8. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

I think the lid is a bit of a red herring - the closest paint for that sort of finish is the "Killer Chrome".

It looks pretty good on small parts

But on a large smooth surface it dosn't really have a mirror/reflective finish (check out the dustbin)

At the moment I think it's still Alclad in the lead, but that's due to the expense of the project thus far - if it had been a cheaper model/project the Plastikote would have been the definite choice.
  9. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

What a tease! I've wanted one of these ever since I watched the original series. Please make it a short break. Now I just have to work out the LED wiring to give those back and forth lights....

10. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Let me know how you get on with that.

Mine cost me £40 and I had to solder the LEDs on myself, but it's spot on - a fading comet style sweep with 32 lights (same number as the real deal) and variable speed settings. Control box fits in mohawk area with ribbon cables that reach to the front of the visor.

You can get simpler version but I did a lot of searching around, and for this type of chaser the price was damn good.

That said, it would be a little OTT for a card version:roll:

What we need is a REALLY cheap and cheerful alternative - suggestions please.....

If it's one for the kids though you could always stick a few dents on the top, stick a small red torch in the middle, and tell him he's Red Eye* in targetting mode:-D

*for non-geeks, Red Eye was a Cylon after a bump on the head mistook a shady human for his centurian leader and became his goon in a western type episode. Just before he used to draw his light would stop in the centre for a second or so:wink:
  11. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

When I built the balsa helmet we used a small motorized arm with limit switches that carried a single LED back and forth. It was worth the extra effort.
  12. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Pretty cool 8)

The best ones have multiple leds though, as for the right effect the light needs to have a comet tail style effect i.e. instead of one LED lighting up at a time you have 4+ getting slowly weaker away from the leading LED:

I know, picky picky picky :-D

I bet if you used 5 LEDs on the arm though, the one in the middle the brightest, and the 2 either side gradually weaker you wouldn't be far off at all - now how cheaply could this be done:twisted:
  13. deltic03

deltic03 New Member

My Gob is truly smacked!!!!
    keep up the great work!
  14. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Still drooling... when can we get it? Huh? Huh? Puuuuuullleeeeeeezzzzeeeee????? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  15. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

I'm going to put a final deadline on myself for 31st April :oops: - I know it's a bit away, but I have a lot of crazy stuff going on at the moment, plus if I can get it done before then I will.

The good news is that I'll def. be having a go at some of the other armour parts, or maybe all if there's enough interest (might as well seeing as I reckon the helmet has got to be the hardest part).

As for timescales - if I could get a full suit done in time for halloween I'd be a happy man :wink:

and don't forget - you can scale it down for the kiddies :twisted:
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah I plan on scaling this down for the kiddies----------NOT! this sucker is going to be for me!:twisted:
  17. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

I was able to find Crome cardstock at Michel's art and craft its $4.75 for sheet poster board size But i should be able to get 4 letter's size parts out of each sheet

So i can't wait to download this !!!
  18. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Well, I reckon I may be ready to start my Beta build next week all being well so it shouldn't be too long before I'm ready for a Ceta builder or two to try out my instructions (applications by posts or PM :) )

What's weird is that they don't seem to do straightforward mirror card in the US - I had a look myself on ebay & the rest of the web but nothing!!! - I'm amazed :shock: It's usually the other way around.

So if someone knows of a good source for the US builders - please let us all know :)

Best regards

19. Regie

Regie Member

A. Full. Suit.

How cool is that!? That would be amazing!
  20. sneaker

sneaker Member

Paul I would be happy to be a "ceta builder for you again. :twisted: