By Way Of Introduction...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gleasure, Dec 29, 2009.

1. gleasure

gleasure Member

Greetings from the new kid in class (almost)!

Please forgive me if this gets long...

I am gleasure and have been a member since 2008, but haven't *actively* participated until just now. This was pretty much due to the fact that I felt I didn't have anything to contribute (model-wise) and decided to just "lurk", following a few different threads as I could. (Cybermac, that 737 is looking *great*!) Usually, I would take a quick peek at the downloads section and see if there was anything new.

The main reason I wanted to come out of the woodwork is because I just finished reading several threads about problems that have happened (or are ongoing) on this forum and in our community. Specifically, piracy. I know there is always suspicion about new members hitting the downloads fast (which I have been doing), so I want to allay any fears/suspicions you might have.

I am humbled an honored that many of you have so freely given to others (myself included) such beautiful and amazing works of art. My first exposure to internet paper modeling was in 2005 when I came across jleslie48's site, and his amazing models- for free. Wondering what else was out there, I began to search. In short- WOW! Jaybatt's site, paragon's, the list goes on.

Every once in awhile, one of my bookmarked sites would be closed or gone altogether. I didn't think much at first, figured someone didn't want to keep maintaining the site, or whatever.

One of those sites that no longer worked was uhu02's original site. It wasn't until just this week that I finally discovered the reason why. I felt saddened that others would dishonor his work and the gifts he was providing (and FOR FREE!) in this manner.

The irony is that I had *just* found (and downloaded) a model that I had been searching for off and on for a couple of years. Actually, there were three on that site that caught my eye, all spacecraft from the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey". Two of them were uhu02's (the Discovery and EVA pod). The joy of finally finding these models was negated by the realization that these were pirated copies. wall1

This same site also had his Proteus model! :curse:

I notified one of the admins here about the site I found. Please do not ask me about it, I will NOT be giving it out. (If you are a designer, check with our admin- He knows which one).

I ain't no pirate, except for September 19th- even then, I only sound like one (very badly). :mrgreen:

Sorry to sound so heavy and formal, I'm actually more of a harmless smart-alec with a great sense of humor! :p

2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

No worries, and thanks again for the report.

Unfortunately, piracy is an ongoing issue in this medium; and can be tough to enforce as it were. The best we can do is to band together as we are doing, all modelers, all sites and put the pressure on these lowlifes.

Now, get building and show us some pics! :mrgreen:
  3. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

It's good to have you here gleasure! Glad you finally went public. Are science fiction models your main interest?
  4. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Belated welcome from a new guy!

5. gleasure

gleasure Member

Short answer: Models that make you say "WOW!" or "COOL!" are my main interest.

Longer answer: I'm all over the map. :mrgreen:

I grew up watching Star Trek TOS reruns, Battlestar Galactica (TOS, but I have managed to catch a few episodes of the re-imaged series- Love the MK II Vipers!), Buck Rogers, and had a Dinky Space:1999 Eagle, so models along those lines grab my attention.

I built architectural models professionally for about a year, so I also like buildings/structures.

I've been "train trash" since very early... You get the idea.

I'm really not much into mecha, but I am extremely impressed with the care and detail I've seen in a couple of the builds I've randomly popped in on. Even if someone is building models of a different genre, I can still learn a few new tricks (or different ways of doing the same).

Even found and downloaded a couple of trout!

PS- Retired_for_now, love the probes! Any chance a Viking lander might be on the distant horizon? (Like the "Blondie" song says: "Dreaming is free..."
  6. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

You built professionally? Wow! Are you an architect? I just assumed architects built their own models. How did you get into doing that? OK, interrogation's over. :rolleyes: You sound a lot like me in your card modeling interests. Looking forward to seeing your builds! :cool:
  7. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Gleasure - got an empty space, but haven't even started collecting pictures for Viking. The landers are poorly represented - Ton has a great Surveyor at LHVCC; you can still find a JPL model of Mars Polar Lander (modifiable to Phoenix configuration); and that's about it. Would be nice to find a Venera, a few Lunokhods, and even the Huygen's Titan probe (or Galileo's Jupiter floater).

I may get to those eventually - working my way through observatories at the moment (since they end up in a Planetarium lobby).

Check the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center for some quick-build probes - then let us see the results!

8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I thought there was a Viking on the Lower Hudson Site, but I could be wrong??? :confused:
  9. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Sorry big-E : haven't seen one at LHVCC or elsewhere. LHVCC has Moon's Surveyor; Mars surface stuff limited to the E teGroen/Noteboom rovers; and two Voyagers for the "V"s. As far as I know, Viking is a big gap in the available (paper) models.

10. gleasure

gleasure Member

No, not an architect. The closest I've ever come to that was designing/building a garden shed for a family member. (Hmm... Maybe I should build a model of THAT! :mrgreen:)

As for building their own models, I guess some do and some don't. Depends on the size of the project, perhaps. (Most of the projects I remember were for bigger projects such as luxury lofts, etc.) IOW, time vs. money. And as I'm sure any of the designers can attest, there can be a WORLD of difference in designing (subject: X) and model of (subject: X).

How did I get into that? Right place at right time. (or wrong time/wrong place, depending on which memories I'm sharing. :cry:) Knew the owner, he talked me into coming aboard.

Interrogation? What happens if I don't talk... Paper cuts? :eek: (Warned you I was a smart-alec!)