buying advice please.

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by indy197905, Oct 27, 2006.

1. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

The thing to remember is that these days kids are quite tech-savvy.. They grew up using computers and the like. I've met a few friends whose kids took to DCC like duck to water.

It's old farts like me who couldn't make heads or tails of the technology. :D
  2. brakie

brakie Active Member

Again Basics first then gimmicks later..IMHO.:D DCC can't cure derailments due to bad track work and improperly mounted coupler.That will cause many new modeler to throw their hands up in and find a new hobby..After all trains that continually derail or comes uncoupled isn't any fun.
  3. indy197905

indy197905 New Member

Thanks for all the info everyone. A lot has changed in the last twelve years since I had a train set. Can anyone tell me if any one brand is better quality than another?
  4. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Athearn will be good quality. Atlas will be good of they still make sets. Bachmann & Life Like can be a mixed bag. A lot of their new stuff is well made, but I don't know if the quality has filtered down to their train sets. Also, if you are not buying it in person from a hobby shop with a knowledgeable staff, you may get old stock that is pretty much worthless if it is Bachmann or Life Like.
  5. gottaBreal

gottaBreal Member

I like to run my Atlas but will settle for a Athearn.
  6. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

I love the debate about DC vs. DCC. An EZ Commander with a street price of 50 bucks is really no more $ than an old analog transformer.... and DC equipped locos form Atlas, at under 90 online, make a great investment. These two items are all that is required to make your DCC go.

Surely old fashioned power districts and such can get just as expensive/technical.

My last two cents....

Engineer (not an old fart yet!) Kyle
  7. brakie

brakie Active Member

Will if you are talking BASIC DCC then Bachmann DCC equipped locomotives can be had for $30-35.00 street price and should work quite will with the EZ Commander street price-on line price-of $70.00..Plus still needing to wire "power blocks" since that highly recommended these days even on a simple 4x8 layout...See nothing is simple any more these days.:( BTW Even using basic DCC without the "power blocks" one still has to add a bus line and feeder wire plus a programing track even on a 4x8 footer.
    Even a simple advice on what train set to buy gets expensive/technical because some feel they must push the high dollar equipmemt...I am surprise our new friend Indy hasn't ran for the nearest exit by now.

I still maintain basics first then the not really needed gimmicks if he choses..:D
  8. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

I don't know, my MRC prodigy Express is farily simple. It has Programming on the main and such. I also don't have any power blocks. should i be installing these? i've had no troubles....
  9. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

I have three decks mainlined together, each > 4X8' and 30 turnouts.... no blocks, no problems... should I add blocks?

Running 6 locos....
  10. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

The main thing with DCC is, control system wiring is simpler, but you may still need a number of wires to the track. I've read you should put connections about every 6 feet to prevent power loss. The general advice is, don't expect the rails to reliably carry electricity farther than that.
  11. brakie

brakie Active Member

Guys My statement is base on what DCC users are saying on various DCC forums and in MR's "DCC Corner" as the latest and best methods..Do I agree? To a certain point especially about the power blocks because that makes sense for layout protection in case a short develops for some reason and like a DC blocks you can isolate each block till you find the problem block.
    I do know from my own experience Digi Traxx suggest a bus and dropping a feeder every 6-8 foot for better DCC signals..
    So,what ever works for you but,I HIGHLY recommend following your DCC systems manual for best results and the use of bus wire and feeder wires simply because of better DCC signals.You see like DC electrical flow DCC signals have a tenancy to drop over long distances.Also some larger layouts call for power boosters as well injunction with power blocks.