butane torch

N

nachoman

Has anyone ever used a small butane torch to solder brass? I was looking for a new soldering iron at home depot, and noticed a small bernz-o-matic butane torch... would this work for brass scratchbuilding, or would I just make a mess of things? And, as far as electric soldering irons go, what wattage is best for brass scratchbuilding? I have a few locomotives in the works...

kevin

jim currie

i use a restance soldering tool for scratching brass its a 0 to 500 watt model but i seldom use over 200 watts.

jon-monon

I have a micro-torch I use on rare occasion for larger brass parts, like 1/4" solid brass. For smaller parts and sheet brass I use mostly a 25 watt iron.

TrainClown

I find, sometimes, a small torch works better and faster than there electric cousins. I have a pencile torch that has a real small flame. These pencil torches are so small that they are over looked by conventional craftsmen as being to small, so you can get them for 5 or 6 $. Those Burns-o-matic models are made primarily for plumbing work and produce to much heat for small work.

That's what I think.

TrainClown ;)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I have one and like Jon says, it is only good for big jobs as the flame, even though tiny, spreads out some so makes fine soldering difficult. I haven't seen one like yours TC.

F

Fred_M

I have been using a hot wire butane cigarette lighter for quick solder jobs. You know, the ones that hiss like a small propane torch when they burn. Great for quick wire joints and soldering brass tubes together pronto. No warm up time like the iron. Fred

Pitchwife

Dreamer
When it comes to which soldering tool to use, it depends on what you are soldering. Like jon-monon said, if you are trying to work large solid brass pieces a 25 watt pencil isn't going to cut it. I have a regular Weller pencil iron station for 90% of what I do and a 150/250 watt gun for those larger projects. The real secret is knowing what you are doing. The only way to get the experiance is lots and lots of practice. :thumb:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I've found, for most of the ship model "ironwork", made from brass rod,strip,
an alcohol torch works best. The size and force of the "flame" is determined by the amount of air across the wick. The light "breeze" doesn't disturb the alignment of the small parts. Stay Clean markets a low melting temp silver solder, and liquid flux, that is excellent for this kind of work.
Pete