Bus wire gauge suggestions for my layout?

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
What would you guys suggest for bus gauges for this layout.
its a 4x8 layout and how many feet should I get? Also what gauge should I get (i assume it depends on the length so im not sure)

Also, since I have two adjacent tracks, should i use 2 buses for 2 tracks or 4 buses for 2 tracks. Meaning should I use 1 bus wire for 2 tracks or just one.
Hope that made sense...
ezho2a.gif

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Prodigy: are you talking about DCC bus? You just need one pair of wires for that. Once around the loops then into the middle for the sidings.
I would use, for that size layout, either lamp cord (extension cord) or the wire for in the wall wiring, just because it's probably easiest to buy (or scrounge). 16 gauge or bigger.

The only time you could get wire that's too big is if you got some from strettcar overhead or old electric powerline wire; it would probably cause your layout to sag.

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
DCC - I figured I would use a wire for the track... I cant explain it...basically run a wire directly under the track (one for each rail for each track) following its paths. I figured I would use a 2 pair (+ - + -) for a total of 4 wires under 2 tracks. I didnt know if the power would work right having 2 tracks from 1 wire. I was just wondering :p

Since the tracks are so close to each other and I only need 1 pos and 1 neg wire for 2 tracks ill do that. thanks. :) What gauge do I get? and how long? 22AWG or 20AWG or something?

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
parappel connections? What exactly do you mean. I know wher a series and parallel connection is when it comes to like wires and a light bulbs lol but I cant seem to get the picture when it comes to train wiring...

Is this right? Run the buses under the track, at points along the bus, connect a wire from the bus through the wood into the track above right?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
When I said parallel connections, I meant that there would be a feeder from the bus to a piece of rail, then another feeder to a piece of rail a few feet away, and so on. The current would get divided among all the feeders so that they can be smaller wires than the bus.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Your buss wires don't have to exactly follow your tracks, but your drop wires should never be more than 6 inches long. Ie-the drop wires will determine how long your buss wires need to be.