Burn Out?

Pooh Bah
Herc: a couple of suggestions.
Get an old set of Xmas tree lights - the series ones -- probably an old set where one is burnt out but you can't get replacements. Count the bulbs and cut off 1/10 of them e.g. in a 24 bulb set, cut off 3. (3 that work). Strip the ends of the wire. You now have a 12 volt tester. If you do it right you have a long wire at one end. You can use this to test track to see where the electricity is or isn't. Sometimes I add alligator clips on each end.
We designate rails as North and South (trains run East and West). Saves arguing about the + and - rails, which will change when you reverse the train. This helps trace the wiring. Also, if your N rail meets your S rail, you got problems. (we'll tell you about that when you finish reading the book!)

Herc Driver

Outstanding...I knew those old Christmas lights would be good for something someday.

That's what I like about this hobby...all you need to succeed is a firm understanding of physics, degrees in mechanical, civil and electrical engineering (or work related equivelent), the hands of a surgeon (who also has the ability to model foam/clay/plastics and paint), imagination, and money...lots and lots of money.

Pooh Bah
If you get started model raildoaring young enough, you acquire all those qualifications with out pain!