Burlington Northern In O27?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I really want to find a Burlington Northern engine in O27 to run for a second engine. The One Lionel carries is O gauge. Anyone know of an O27 Burlington Northern out there? If not, I'm gonna buy a cheap deisel and learn to paint.
  2. raybanduchi

raybanduchi New Member

What is the difference ...

in 0 & 027? If a boxcar sez O-O27, what's that mean?
  3. Cannonball

It could be used on either O or O27. I think all O27 will run on O. However, there are some larger O gauge cars and engines that won't take the curves of O27.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

O27 was the, supposedly, lower end line of Lionel. The track was lighter and had sharper curves. A lot of O27 train sets had smaller cars, although many of the larger cars would run on it as well. Now Lionel is making closer to scale size cars that won't run on the smaller curves. However, anything they make will run on O27 track of wide enough radius.
    Check the catalog to see if the car shows a minimum radius. A full scale long boxcar or automobile car or passenger coach (nominal 85') scales out to 21 inches long and will strech almost straight across an O27 curve, and most of the way across an O gauge 31" curve.
  5. raybanduchi

raybanduchi New Member

Okay, so ...

If I have a chance to buy a grab bag of different O-O27 boxcars, then they should run on my O gauge track?
  6. lionelfan

lionelfan Member

O-27 cars will run on O guage track, but generally not the other way around.
    O Guage cars are more to scale than O-27, which is generally smaller and by some to be more toy like. I would recommend you try to use O-31 track as the curves are wider and will accept the bigger cars like autoracks and lumber cars. Before you buy the cars, check the catalogs and it will tell you the minimum radius it will run on.
  7. Cannonball

I've got a huge box of O Gauge track sitting at home doing nothing. I've been thinking about throwing it on ebay and selling it. However, I'm wondering if I shouldn't start a second railroad with it or switch to O Guage track completely and do away with the O27. Of course, then I'll have to go through the hassle of cleaning it and buying new switches and crossovers. Nah... It will probably go on the bay. I've been running O27 since I was 5. No point in changing now. :D
  8. raybanduchi

raybanduchi New Member

before you go on eBay ...

whacha askin'?
  9. Cannonball

I really wouldn't have a clue as far as what it would be worth. It just came out of storage after 20 years so who knows. Some if it is rusty as hell and some of it is OK. Just needs a good cleaning. I really need to sit down and go through the box and find out what all is in there before I try to sell it.
  10. raybanduchi

raybanduchi New Member

Well CB, keep me in mind.

11. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Track's a tough sell. It sells best in small lots (like a loop at a time) with a good picture and description and be VERY up-front and reasonable about the shipping, because that's a deal-breaker. You can get clean used O27 for 25-50 cents a section at train shows, and O31 for about twice that, so that's what you're competing with. People who can't get to a show are willing to pay more than that to have it right away, but what they don't want to do is pay a dollar per track section and then have to pay $12 for shipping on top of all of it. An oval of track ought to ship for $5 or so, and if worse comes to worse, it'll definitely all fit in a flat-rate Priority Mail box that ships for $8.10 and it'll get there fast.

So you can probably get $5-$10 for each oval of clean track you can put together. It's up to you to decide if that's worth your time.
  12. Cannonball

I figured about as much.
    Wasn't really planing on cleaning it just throwing out the few pieces that look beyond hope and taking inventory of what's left. I didn't expect to get rich from it. Not even sure I want to sell it yet. Then again I'm not sure I want to keep it either.
  13. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Well I have a BN MPC Lionel U36B that runs on O27 track. It came out in the mid 70's and pulls pretty decent. Lionel also brought out a GP in BN but don't remember if it was a GP9 or GP20. I've run them pulling the old 6464 series box cars and such. Watch eBay, I've seen them there every now and then. If you are painting, the old Alco FA's are a good starting point. BN had some but never painted them in the green and black they look good in the BN paint. Also the NW2 is pretty easy to paint in BN colors.

Greg Elems
  14. Cannonball

Thanks, Greg! :thumb:
  15. Geno

Geno Member

K-line also sells an MP-15 switcher in BN colors, although the cascade green is off. I bought one and repainted it with the correct shade of green, and it's a nice little engine. Check E-bay for these- they seem to always have a few up for auction.