Buran Shuttle is out!

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Bengt F, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi all,

For those of you who keep a close look at Jon Leslie´s Chronological Models List http://jleslie48.com/chronlist.html this doesn´t come as a big surprise:

The Russian "Energia" launcher has been accompanied by a new amazing 1:96 scale model of the unmanned "Buran" shuttle.
    This model is also designed by Leo Cherkashyn and he has spread it over 20 pages, of which 13 contains the model! The detail and size is staggering - in my humble opinion, it is just as detailed and accurate in resolution as Raimondo Fortezza´s Shuttle models.

I have enlarged it (European A3 format - 297 x 420 mm) and printed it onto high quality photo paper and the result is supersharp. The bottom tile pattern has a dark blue-grey color, at least on my printer.
    Here it is: http://jleslie48.com/energialeo/cs.html

Happy building!
    Bengt :grin:
  2. jparenti

jparenti Member

First impressions

I have gotten as far as the payload bay and wings so far, and whew! The detailed spars inside the wings are far superior to the Fortezza structures, in my opinion. They also took longer - nearly three hours for me, and I'm usually pretty quick. The wings go together easily, without much fiddling, like the Fortezza shuttles. (I almost never got Atlantis's wings on without pulling my hair out at the roots.)
    I hope to get the cabin and rear structures finished tonight. A warning: The rear pods may need some trimming to get the "box" structures to fit. It looks like they are angled in the built photos, but the parts are straight. (Am I doing something incorrectly?)
    Overall, a beautiful build thus far. The Energia will be very complex, so we'll see how long THAT takes me. I'm also in the middle of an SA-5. :grin:
  3. jparenti

jparenti Member

Well, I finished the Buran tonight, and let me say, it's a beautiful model. I like the level of detail, and yet it stays within the boundaries of mere mortals to assemble. (Okay, I'm bitter--my Fortezza shuttle is still in the works after six months...) :grin: The internal formers on the wings don't pull away from the outer skin when assembled, a problem I had with my Endeavour. On the rear end, I had to make some adjustments, but nothing difficult. It takes a little trimming to make the pods fit.
    I'll post a pic as soon as I can. Now, I'm simultaneously working on the SA-5 beta and the Energia to match the Buran, which will simply NOT go together in three days...
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Buran Shuttle

wow, jparenti,

You are a fast builder - I have just started to cut out and roll the parts.
    I really look forward to seeing a picture or two.

And thanks for your opinions on Fortezza´s construction - I´ll keep this in mind when I get as far as the internal structure of the wings.

All the best,
    Bengt :grin:
  5. jparenti

jparenti Member

I work midnights as a police dispatcher--I have a lot of free time. :grin:
    For anyone who may worry about that... it's very easy to drop a model and answer the 911 calls and the radio. Some people read, some watch TV. I catch up on my models. It's the perfect job--getting paid to build (sort of)!
    Pictures are coming. Stupid camera's out of batteries. :(
  6. jparenti

jparenti Member

Here's the one I put together... my own personal beta, and with the updated instructions, I'll be doing it again, just for perfectionist's sake. :grin:

Attached Files: