BumbleBee. Well, you can't have one without the other!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Master-Bruce, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

After watching how Claudio's BumbleBee model is shaping up(ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC if you've not seen it yet) I've been thinking about other Transformer potentials alot lately.

A few months ago I almost went down the old skool route and try to design a Gen1 character. But things got too busy here so I didn't get to start. Now I've a little more free time I'm back with Transformers on the brain!

So I figured why not have a model to accompany Claudios model? So I'm now designing the Camaro Concept!!! I know it's a car but it's BumbleBee so that's why this thread is in the Scifi section. :) The idea is to have it in the same scale as Claudios model so people will have both car and bot if they choose side by side in the same scale! I know 1/12 will make a large car model but for those who aren't into larger models then I figured they could always print two pages to one for a smaller 1/24 model. ;) I'll also be colour match it with Claudios model so there'll be a consistency between the two models. I'm also planning in making it possible to light the head and tail lights, along with possibly, the dash! Though that last part could just be me getting ahead of myself. LOL

I originally planned to model the car from scratch using my newly aquired Meta experience using another Camaro mesh as a template for my own. However, that mesh proved to be just right after some editing and rescaling. So I cheated! LOL Though the cars body is now looking pretty good, the interior(yes it'll have an interior :) ) needs some work.

Originally the mesh was pretty much one object except for wheels and a few minor details. So I've had to break it up into more managable parts. I'll attach some pics of it as it stands now. ;)

Still some work left to do, plus it needs complete texturing. I'm hoping to have the model ready in time for Claudios complete release but I'll just see how it goes. Fingers crossed, I'll make it.

Big thanks to Claudio, for alot of things really. For taking the BumbleBee idea on when I mentioned it a few months back, for the advice he's given me on getting this Camaro prepared AND for the vote of confidence when I asked him about me doing the car. Thanks for the encouragement buddy. ;)

Also, if I remember right. I got the original Camaro mesh from Bad Scorpion. I'm sure he's a member here, but I got talking with him about it late last year at Papertoys HQ. Thank you buddy, I sent you a PM a few months ago, but still haven't heard back. It'd be good to chat again.

Again this wouldn't be getting done by me if it weren't for some really great tutorials here lately so Credit to Jay, Lex and the rest. ;)

Now, let's get back to work and see if I can actually pull this off. LOL!

I know there are some members out there who are car fans or just BumbleBee fans so if any of you can help with reference for the interior detail? I'd be grateful to you.

Updates as I have them. ;) Thanks guys and gals.
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

super cool! :) this is gonna be sweeeeet :D
  3. Master-Bruce

Thanks Chris! ;) I'm working on it as we speak. Well, almost. LOL

I know I'm mentioning him alot but I'm really trying to get the standard of a "Dias" model. You know, simple yet beautiful! So it's tricky for me trying to keep the face count down yet achieve the details. I'm usually one who just goes nuts with the faces because I want the curves to be curves. Just like my GP03S model. Though I had some comments about it being a little heavy.

So taking that onboard and keeping it at the front of my mind is the challenge at the moment. LOL
  4. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Now we're talking!!! bounce7
  5. Master-Bruce

Thanks!! :)

I'm enjoying this project so far, I know I only started it yesterday but I thought it'd be a headache! Fortunately it isn't at all so far.:)

Now I'm one who's imagination tends to run riot but I'm thinking that if I can get the extracted meshes from the game(that's where this one originated I think), then I'd like to carry on and at least do Barricade too.

But I keep telling myself to stick to what I've started first! LOL
  6. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Oh, man! Fantastic. That's awesome. I have some little lads who will go berserk to have both versions in the same scale...I just hate to think of putting all that building time and effort in, only to have them get roughly "played with". Oh well.

Still...can't wait to see this done and ready.
  7. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

transformers not withstanding, i would like the model for the sake of having a model of the new camero. rock on dude!
  8. Master-Bruce

I know what you mean there having kids myself. LOL Just make two of each! One for you and one of each for the lads. ;)

I hear ya there Nothing. It's a great looking car without the Transformer thing going on.

I started with a prelim texture for the body. I couldn't resist it really, had to get those stripes on!!

9. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Brilliant Skip! Can't wait! Whooot! I just happend to have a 1/12 57 chevy Bel-Air that I can set it next to!
  10. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Hmm, now if only you had decided to model an '04-'06 GTO, since that was the car that actually got made into Bumblebee for the movie...

(Says the '04 GTO owner :D )
  11. Master-Bruce

You're right, it was built onto a GTO wasn't it.
  12. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

13. Master-Bruce

Thanks for sharing the link to that. It's a nice little model. ;)

As for mine, I've been busy searching for textures for the small things like headlights, tyre treads and whatever. I've started to apply some of them.

The picture of the license plate I have is too distorted to be used so I crated my own.
  14. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Looking good skip. Just bought transformers on DVD, so watching the thread with interest.
  15. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Hey Skip, good to see you working on this model! This will be way to cool to build. I wish I had your 3-D skills!
  16. Master-Bruce

Thanks guys. :)

Like I said earlier, I was planning on modelling this all from scratch. I felt confident enough to do it after practicing what I've learned recently. Though the mesh I already had proved to be ideal after some tinkering. I needed to reduce the number of faces mainly and add some in other places. Though the interior needs some new parts modelled from scratch so at least some of this will be completely done by me. LOL

I'll be on it today so I should have some more updates later on.
  17. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Great one Skip!! It's so nice to see this design going head-to-head with the other...!
  18. Master-Bruce

Head to head? Like as in compete? No way, :) It's more like a partnership if you like. I helped Claudio with reference for his design, but he's doing it. But with this one I thought I'd try to design it, so Claudio's been on hand with advice. Hopefully both will be ready in time to be released together, but I'm not sure. Claudio's steaming along with his and his is MORE complex. :)

Right now, work has slowed down because I'm texturing some parts. That's something that I'm still getting the hang of in Meta but I'm getting there. The main problem is getting all of the reference together to make the textures with. Having to edit photos so that I can use them as textures rather than create my own from scratch. Right now I'm doing the rims/wheels. I'm almost done with them though.

I'm looking forward to doing the interior but some work needs doing there first.

Thanks Lex, I owe you too for being able to do this. ;)
  19. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Excellent texture job, Skip, this will be another winner, for sure!!
  20. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

Hey Skip,

"Claudio Dias Wannabe" ??? sign1

This model is awesome! We planned to design both - robot and car - together. However, this is a kind of partnership too! And it's great!

I do the robot, you do the car, and we'll have both available at the same time.

Will you enter it into the contest?