Bulkheads for this X-1?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by dhanners, Nov 9, 2006.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

I was thinking of taking a break from my space stuff to build something with wings, and I came across this model of the Bell X-1:

However, it seems to me the thing needs some internal bulkheads or formers to keep its shape. Does anyone know if any exist out there in Internetland?

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Shoot man.............. that baby was mostly just round. Try and cut some after the segs are together and try for a cut to fit.

It makes a pretty model.
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

The Bell X-1 rocket ships were designed based on a ballistic model of the .50 calibre bullet. I believe and I am not all that sure here, cause its late, and fuzzy in the brain and I am too lazy to check a dozen sites on the net for the place I read it, but the designers felt if the bullet round can go supersonic, then so should the aircraft.

Anyway, I don't think many of the X-1 models have bulkheads. It was and still is, the only model I printed once, cut on once, and made right the first time. 8v)
  4. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

5. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the replies. The circle thing makes sense, of course. I just didn't think of it.
  6. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Hmmm... I build this once, but I didn't have any problems at all at the assembly, and I didn't use any formers at all...