built it myself

davido

EDIT: almost forgot, n scale!

man, don't you just love those drm logging cars. but woa! the price.

decide to see what i could do with styrene. .020 v groove for deck, .080x.100 for side frame and .40 strips for ends. a couple sizes of tubing for bolsters. ah, the bolsters, the tricky part. glued a tube ina tube (sorry don't remember the dia.) glued this to car bottom, filed to correct height checking with mt truck. drilled to .076". mt bolster pin fits real nice.

details on order. will have to use load for weight. used an atlas 50' flat for reference. half the length and a wee bit narrower. i can knock out the basic car in 15 minutes. other cars on this built on this basic flat are planned. 75% of the cost is the mt trucks.

david

i gotta buy a camera. never thought this would be so easy.

belg

David if you can produce a quality piece of rolling stock in 15 minutes I need to see it!!! Go get that camera,Pat.

davido

belg said:
David if you can produce a quality piece of rolling stock in 15 minutes I need to see it!!! Go get that camera,Pat.
hmmmm? quality? i'll borrow a camera after i detail and paint this thing and let the forum decide about the quality. it ain't brass but it rolls.

thanks
david

fp9er

I have the Detail Associates n-scale skeleton log cars. Like all the log cars I've ever run (?) into -- even the brass HO ones -- they're too light to run, especially "backwards", without a load on them. Right now I have in front of me some "plant anchors" for live aquarium plants. They're soft metal strips, thin enough to go under the cars. These "plant anchors" I have are made by Hagen but there are other manufacturers. If you want more weight for your cars so they, track better even without a log load, these could be glued directly to the car or hidden in a round or square piece of hollow tubing.

As far as addition "details", Evergreen Hill and Plastruct both made all kinds of shaped plastic you could use. All you need are the MT trucks, of course, and the brake cylinders!

Heck, the originals were "scratchbuilt"...! And if only I know how to use casting resin I could make boilers, vertical boilers and double-spool winches......I'm also gonna take a shot at making a bucksaw out of a jeweler's sawblade. (Does anybody make logging tools in n-scale at all??? How about sawmill equipment? Any ideas???) --- Man, you have inspired me!!

Good luck with your log cars--

Paul McD.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Robin,
I'll second that! These guys may be able to help me put together SHS&D #1,
outside frame 2-4-4-2 in Nn3. :cool: :thumb: :D

I've been toying with the idea of building my fleet of logging cars from wood. I've bought a bunch of Alan Curtis metal 25' cars and like them a lot. But the big logging company up here in the mountains in the 1900's built their own wood frame cars so that's good enough for me. Of course, an empty wooden N Scale log car would blow away if someone sneezed and there isn't much in the way of disguising added weight.

Anybody making metal-framed trucks out of a heavy metal?

Wayne

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Not sure what style logging car you intend to build, but any heavy wood beam can be square brass, with a stripwood "jacket" glued on. You could go to the extreme of cutting off square wood slices to get the end grain. A lot of work, but the detail would be worth it.
Pete