Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by nfearn, Mar 7, 2006.

1. nfearn

nfearn New Member

Does anyone have any buildings that are roughly the same scale as Fiddlers Green's Large WW2 Planes models? I am looking to set up a sort of acurate scale landscapes for wargaming, and i would like to get some buildings to make the landscapes more realistic.

Thanks Nigel.
  2. 46rob

46rob Member

You'll have to be a bit more specific about the scale you want to use. I looked at a dozen or so WW2 models, and the scales varied widely.
    I would recommend scaling everything down to 1/72 or so and scaling your buildings accordingly. FG draws their models to as efficiently use the available page as possible. It uses a % of 1/60 (WSAM) to tell you what the model is drawn to. It's a bit esoteric, but an example is this: A model says it is 70% of WASM That means, you should scale the model down to 70% of the original to get it to 1/60, or going the other way, the same model would be approximately 1/42 scale. btw, WSAM stand for worlds smallest air museum, a standard that Chip thought would be a good average size for his models to be displayed at--neither too large, nor too small. The odd scaling stuck and stays to this day.
    FG's buildings are great for wargaming, and are normally at HO and N scales--although a few are also found in O scale. If you're not a model RR'er N=1/160, HO=1/87 and O=1/48. So you see--there are a bunch of different scales to consider. The best bet is to decide upon a scale, and scale everything down accordingly. Scaling up is much more of a hassle, as you find you need bigger paper to print upon, whereas scaling down gives you large borders.

There's a good explanation to be found on the FG website, along with the math to adjust your scales.

In the part's Bin--you'll find one of my 1/87 houses. You'll find that buildings get pretty big, compared to aircraft, and at 1/48 scale you might find yourself with a space problem. HO scale is a great scale to work at--big enough to really add some detail, yet not overpoweringly large.
  3. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

4. Al hazlet

Al hazlet Member

I use 1/100 scale for buildings and aircraft, because it fits with the 15mm soldiers I use for wargaming. This works with many FG models that are relatively simple to put together, but not so well for complex models from other designers.

Even in 1/100 you start taking up space fast, though that's relative -- anybody who builds a big bomber in 1/33 or a large ship in 1/250 is likely to have greater space issues. I like the small scale because it means individual models are small, so i don't need one very large storage area.
  5. nfearn

nfearn New Member

Okay so i'm going to guess at a scale of aprox 1/50 in a WW2 Era Look.