Buildings recommendations?

aslan

May 16, 2006
What companies make the best buildings for HO? (I'm a beginner so if I need to clarify, please let me know.) I'm still trying to decide what era to do but I'm thinking of the 40's -50's. My track will be approx. 6X10
Thanks,
Stan:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
For the 1940s and 50s, you can't go wrong with some of the DPM buildings to start. Easy to assemble and paint/weather. Look pretty good on most layouts. There are still a lot of them standing in cities and towns throughout North America.

Which specific buildings you will need will depend on what you choose to model. I am sure that others can make more specific recommendations once you finalize you list of industries, scenes, location, etc.

Andrew

aslan

May 16, 2006
Are you saying that Walthers is good or bad? (Sorry I'm new and I don't know)
Stan

aslan

May 16, 2006
I just checked DPM and really liked theirs. I've also spent some time looking at the Walthers. When you say they are easy to put together, any differences between the amount of skill between them? Thanks
Stan

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Over the past couple of years, Walthers has been improving the way the stuctures fit together and I have to say that on most of the buildings I have bought recently, they have been the easyist things to put together. I think that it is a combination of skill obtained by building over the past 3 years and Walthers just simply making it easyer for us.

My first building was the Blue Star Ready Mix Concrete plant. It is made by Walthers. The assembly was a little difficult, but that was because I was new to the hobby and had never done something like this in my life.

I think that nomatter what company go buy from, it is always going to be a little challenging at first, but with a little time and paitents, it will get easyer for you.