Building Yoav Hozmis Kfir C-2

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Very good tutorial. I almost understood everything (despite Google Translator;)).
I always wanted to try making vacuform transparents but never had the patience to try really hard. Sometimes I bought ready parts from polish manufacturers (for my B17 eg.)
Now this thread turned on again the interest toward this technique.
The only thing that stops me is that I find hard to understand what kind of products should I search to make the master. I'm sure I cannot find here the same products you used (available in Germany), but if here is something similar I'm not sure what should I look for.

Any advice?

McTschegsn

Feb 24, 2015
Dietzenbach, Germany
www.jet-connection.de
Well the so called "Feinspachtel" is something like fine putty. You can use gypsum or plaster with a fine struture as well. Putty here in germany is available in different porosities. Use the finest putty you can get. If you are not satisfied with the surface you can use some spray primer and sanding to flatten the surface.

Reactions: Tonino

McTschegsn

Feb 24, 2015
Dietzenbach, Germany
www.jet-connection.de
A tiny update on the Kfir. The canopy frame has been cut out and the edges are colores plus the parts are bent to the almost final shape. The Canopy Frame on the fuse has just been placed there to check the fit... Going to Munich this weekend to meet some old friends so the next update will hopefully be on sunday
smile.gif

Kfir59.jpg Kfir60.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You can use two part epoxy two makes either negative or positive molds. If it is a positive mold, you heat a plastic sheet and pull inf tight over the plug of the canopy shape, and cut off the excess when it cools. If a negative mold, you can drill small holes, and make a vacuum chamber using a heat gun and vacuum source. Old refrigerator motors, especially the small ones, give great suction.

Reactions: McTschegsn

McTschegsn

Feb 24, 2015
Dietzenbach, Germany
www.jet-connection.de
Some small progress has been made.
I just finished the canopy section of the Kfir. Glue is drying now. While the framework on the canopy dried I tried to add a bit realism to the mirrors. I took overheadprojector foil, cutted out the mirrors and glued them to the framepart. The part got also colored from the backside to keep that nasty white blinks away ;) I think it looks good so far though I wonder if you can see it when the canopy is on the model... But it is as always... I built it and I know it is there
smile.gif
The HUD is in place and ready to operate
smile.gif

Next step is to trim the canopyframe properly and glue the part in place so the cockpit is finished.

Kfir61.jpg Kfir62.jpg Kfir63.jpg Kfir64.jpg Kfir65.jpg Kfir66.jpg

McTschegsn

Feb 24, 2015
Dietzenbach, Germany
www.jet-connection.de
Thank you Tonino but I think I am a bit away from "Master" ;) Here you can read why :)
Today I built the intakes and mounted them to the model. As Yoav said it was a bit fiddly to attach the intakes to the model but nothing severe
smile.gif

Only things I had to trim were the shock cones a bit when assembling the intakes itselves and of course adding the slots to the fuselage itself for the splitter plates and the gun covers at the inside of the intake.
Again the beauty grows. Only thing I am not so happy with is the slight gap at the auxiliary air intakes between the splitter plates and the fuselage.
Well... next time
smile.gif
At the moment it looks good to me... There is always room for improvement I think
smile.gif

On the detail pictures you can see how I bent the gun covers and the special "McTschegsn grab" to let glue dry when mounting the intakes
wink.gif

Kfir69.jpg Kfir70.jpg Kfir71.jpg Kfir72.jpg Kfir73.jpg Kfir74.jpg Kfir75.jpg Kfir76.jpg Kfir77.jpg Kfir78.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I forgot to hit the "Like" option. I hate when I do that, so I went back and clicked them. I make this as a separate post for those of you who do like t show your support for a builder, and what happens to be an excellent build thread. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This has long past the "Nice ______model". This is a nice model, regardless of what it is made of. Superb.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I love SciFi, but I have to be honest, when you see a model based on something that is "real", and you can see the real jets ones to gauge the correctness of the model, well, for me is thrilling, and this one is really excellent!! Diversity rules!! :)