Building Walthers Van Dyke Windmills

coaster

Jan 13, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Mike --
That's a very well put together tutorial, and one that's needed, I suspect, considering that it's a Walthers kit. (They're always described as "simple," and yet Walthers always finds a way to confound!) Out of curiosity, what's the reasoning behind cutting down the tower to a specific length after as opposed to before gluing together the four main sides?

-- Paul

coaster

Jan 13, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I was hoping the reason was something like that, Mike!

On an unrelated topic, though, can you tell me what kit (if any) you kitbashed to create that bowling alley on your layout?

-- Paul

coaster

Jan 13, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
fifer said:
Paul , I have had several request's for that info. A lady used to make and sell them on Ebay but she is no longer there. It is wood and solid with a wood false front and the windows and doors are printed on photo paper and glued on. Seems simple enough.
Thanks , Mike
Simple and very effective. Thanks again, Mike.

-- Paul

coaster

Jan 13, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Mike --
Thanks again for that tutorial. You helped me sidestep a couple of potential troublespots in the Walthers instructions this weekend. Wish I'd paid a bit more attention to your treatment of the bearing, though; had to jury-rig my own approach as a result of not printing out your step-by-step ahead of time.

Oh, and for the record: I ended up having to cut the size down afterwards, too. It's really hard to determine a good height ahead of time, isn't it?

Regards,
Paul