Building the RK&M III: The Mountain

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by TomPM, Nov 16, 2006.

1. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Added more trees and foliage to the mountain side.

2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW, that is all I can really say Tom, it looks AWMAZING, another WELL DONE job Tom:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  3. wickman

wickman Member

Absolutely fantastic job. :wave:
  4. TomPM

Thanks guys!

I added more trees and foliage.

5. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

When Tom finishes this thread I would like to nominate it and it's supplemental thread for The Academe. :thumb: :thumb:
  6. viperman

viperman Active Member

Wow Tom, that looks GREAT! Purty darn realistic!
  7. ocalicreek

ocalicreek Member

Please, no really, this is a compliment - PERFECTLY DENSE!!! It has that nice thick overgrown woodsy look to it, and yet it's not the "great green hairball that ate the layout" polyfoam look - too dense with no breaks in the canopy, IMO. AND, you've got a nice variety in color as well. So, great job and keep up the 'dense' modeling.
  8. viperman

viperman Active Member

I like Galen's comments. I just hope that when I get to that stage, I receive similar responses, especially from Galen (since he drew up my trackplan)
  9. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

Better and better Tom!!!:thumb:
    The variety in color, texture, and placement...really crank it up to the next level. Everything just works!!!:thumb: :thumb:
  10. TomPM

Time to revive the mountainside layout construction.

First thing I worked on was the wall for the blue house.

I carved the mortar lines with a razor knife.

Next I painted the wall with Folk Art Light Gray.

Then using a brush I dabbed on the following colors in order (all Folk Art):
    • Barn Wood
    • True Burgundy
    • Dark Gray
    • Raw Umber
    • Settlers Blue.

Then I did it a second time in the same order.

Next I went over the wall with a wash made from one part Raw Umber and one part blue windshield washer fluid.

After that dried I went over with a wash of one part Linen and one part blue windshield washer fluid. This time I wiped off the wash before it dried.

11. TomPM

I also began coloring the road. This show the road painted with Dark Gray.

12. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Tom that wall really looks AMAZING!!! I had no idea when I saw it in the photo fun thread that so many different colors and steps were taken!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: