Building the RK&M III: The Mountain

Old_Bob

Nov 4, 2006
Eagle, CO
Has anyone used one of the fast set drywall compounds instead of plaster? They are setting compounds like plaster and they set up fast. IMHO they are easier to work with than plaster of Paris or patching plaster.

For that matter, when you folks talk of plaster, just exactly what do you mean?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Old_Bob said:
Has anyone used one of the fast set drywall compounds instead of plaster? They are setting compounds like plaster and they set up fast. IMHO they are easier to work with than plaster of Paris or patching plaster.

I have tried different compounds as you have mentioned. I have also used Hydrocal. I keep going back to Plaster of Paris because it works and it is cheaper than the other compunds. Since I am doing waht is bascially a 18 feet by 9 feet layout cost for the hardshell material is very important to me. PoP is the cheapest for me. The other compunds costs anywhere from two to five times more than the same amount of PoP. In the section I am showing in this thread up to this point I have used almost an entire 8 pound box of PoP.

Old_Bob said:
For that matter, when you folks talk of plaster, just exactly what do you mean?

For me plaster means plaster of Paris.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Using Sculpta-mold I first shaped the rock faces. I then took aluminum foil and pressed into the Sculpta-mold to make the indentations.

mountain_i_001a.jpg

mountain_i_002a.jpg

mountain_i_003a.jpg

mountain_i_004a.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wow - nice stuff Tom! :thumb: :thumb:

That portal went from just sitting there to a real "built into the rock face" look. I like the remnants of the drilled blast holes to the right of the portal.

Can't wait to see this painted and scenicked!

Andrew

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey Tom,
Here I am catching up on your work...!!! Looks great...!!! A question: You say you apply crumpled foil to the Sculpatmold rock faces? Does this mean that you apply a glob of SM to the scenery and then "sculpt" it with the foil; or do you pour the SM into a pre-wrinkled foil and then apply the dry mold to the scenery?? Do you treat the foil with any sort of releasing agent?? Any light you shed will be most welcome.
Keep up the great work...!!!sign1

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
jbaakko said:
Tom, got a question, the back of the mountain is open right, are you going to cover it with something to avoid having it lit up in pictures?

Sorry I did get right to this. I got tied up with some stuff and forgot.

I plan on covering it. I want something that I can easily remove to access the area. I am thinking of using a dark heavy cloth or piece of felt that is tacked to the side of the tunnel.

The other thing I am contemplating is some type of removable liner.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
steamhead said:
Hey Tom,
Here I am catching up on your work...!!! Looks great...!!! A question: You say you apply crumpled foil to the Sculpatmold rock faces? Does this mean that you apply a glob of SM to the scenery and then "sculpt" it with the foil; or do you pour the SM into a pre-wrinkled foil and then apply the dry mold to the scenery?? Do you treat the foil with any sort of releasing agent?? Any light you shed will be most welcome.
Keep up the great work...!!!sign1

I just sculpt the Sculta-mold into the general shape of the rock face I want. I then take the foil and crumple it up. Depending on the number and size of any intetations I will crumple it a little to ball. I then palce the foil over the rock face to be. With my fingers I just press it into and onto the Sculpta-mold. I am looking for randomness. I let it sit for about 3 to 5 minutes and then carefully peel it off the rock face. I do not use any type of release agent.

I am currently writing a more detail how to on this method for an online magazine article.

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
TomPM said:
Sorry I did get right to this. I got tied up with some stuff and forgot.

I plan on covering it. I want something that I can easily remove to access the area. I am thinking of using a dark heavy cloth or piece of felt that is tacked to the side of the tunnel.

The other thing I am contemplating is some type of removable liner.
Cool, was just wondering, because I didn't want you to have that as a late thought!

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the info. I'm just about to do some more scenery & this'll help out a lot.
I see that the paper towels do half the work in shaping the scenery. Beats sculpting the foam itself!!:thumb: