TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Next is to go over the rocks with a Raw Umber wash
hillside_r_009a.jpg

hillside_r_010a.jpg

At this point I feel there is a problem. The coloring appears to be too dark. I am not sure if the Slate Blue was too dark or perhaps the Raw Umber Wash was not diluted enough. Anyway I need to think about a solution.

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
Brush on some very light white of some sort maybe?

I don't do scenery, I take my delights in seeing the trains run and running "switchman's nightmares" sign1 Anyways, I'd love to see all the stuff you've ever done. Heck, I'd love to see all the stuff EVERYONE HERE'S ever done! This is some nice stuff!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks!

After taking a day to think about I decided to do it one more time. While this may seem like a lot of work it not. Also in the past I have done up to five applications on some rocks to get the effect I was looking for.

So here it is with clay Bisque
hillside_s_001a.jpg

hillside_s_002a.jpg

Burnt Umber
hillside_s_003a.jpg

hillside_s_004a.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Raw Umber
hillside_s_005a.jpg

hillside_s_006a.jpg

The next color I changed. This time I used Folk Art Settlers Blue which is lighter than the Slate Blue. Also the Settlers Blue seems to be closer to the Amish Blue I used to use until they discontinued it.
hillside_s_007a.jpg

hillside_s_008a.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Now the raw Umber Wash. This time I diluted the wash more than the normal 5 to 1 I use. I poured the 5 to 1 wash into a cup and added a ½ part more bwwf.
hillside_s_009a.jpg

hillside_s_010a.jpg

In the photos in may appear dark but in person it was much lighter. It also now more closely matched the rocks on the Water Tower Diorama and the Cement Distributor.

Next I sealed the rocks with Plaid Matte Sealer. This sealer does leave the rocks a little slick but that was what I was looking for as a prep for the next step. Here are the rocks after the sealer.
hillside_t_001a.jpg

hillside_t_002a.jpg