Building the Riverside Railroad

CNWman

CNW Fan
Hi all:wave:

I thought I might as well make a layout progress thread now because things are actualy getting DONE on the layout:rolleyes::mrgreen:. So far, nothing much has happened, just the foam got placed in and you can see the town of riverside start to form.
Picture_0229.JPG

The town's main source of industry is the grain elevator, which grain is stored to transfer to trains which in turn take it to giant bakeries, like TruckLover's Magic Pan Bakeries. There is also a passenger station left over from when the original railroad in the area, the CNW, ran small commuter services, but now serves as a museum/shop as well. There's also the small freight station, for those non-grain needs. There will also be a small part of the town in the center of the layout and a customized engine shed made from this Kibri kit:
Picture_0223.JPG

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
great start CNWman :thumb:.it'll definitely turn out great :mrgreen:.by the way,did you make it to the show at lakota west last weekend? i made it Sunday at 5:30,the layouts were amazing but i had very little time to really scour the tables for good deals like i usually do.i did find a few goodies though :twisted:.hope you had as much luck as i did!--josh

CNWman

CNW Fan
Good start...and I like that idea of the plexiglass at the end of the layout table to keep the foam on.

Herc, that was actualy supposed to keep the trains on due to the track being so close to the edges, but it did help with foam placement:mrgreen:

bigsteel- I made it to Lakota on Saturday, and man it was great! I picked up these there:
Picture_0198.JPG

Picture_0199.JPG

Picture_0200.JPG

I got these for weathering practice, and the first two cars are complete and in service. The third car is still in the works. I wish I could have met you there.:mrgreen:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
looks like you got a pretty good haul there man! i got 6 items in the short time i was there:
1 bachmann 2-8-0 with DCC B&O
1 athearn GP-9 C&O
1 athearn 40ft boxcar C&O
1 athearn SW-7 B&O
2 bachmann fairbanks-morse H-16-44's with DCC

thats all i had time to get and i only spent 180$ !!!
man i love going to shows! i wish i could have met you also! it would've been nice to talk outside of cyberspace :p.glad you had a good time!--josh

nkp174

We should arrange a Cincinnati Chapter of the Gauge meeting! I've got oodles of goodies...but no real layout.

I didn't realize that this past weekend was the show. Oh well. I don't have any money to spend.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Riverside Engine no. 7

Today the RRR recieved a very generous donation of a fully working GP9M restored to its Pennsylvania RR markings. The donator, Chris, was very pleased to see that this still-powerfull workhorse would see work yet again for a railroad. Although technicaly the 7th engine obtained by the RRR, like all of the RRR's restored engines, 9912 will retain the PRR scheme and number.

Yep, I got another engine, the 6th this year!:mrgreen: My friend Chris came over today to test out his On30 stuff, and gave me this Walthers Trainline GP9M. Here's a shot of it being 'recieved' by the RRR:rolleyes::mrgreen:
Picture_0260.JPG

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
All right! Things are happening! Your bench work looks very nicely done, by the way. I love the latest addition to your loco roster! I have a couple of Pennsey units that won't get the PC treatment and will remain as they are.
Ralph

CNWman

CNW Fan
Suspicious Rail Movement

Hey guys, been a while since I updated this thread. I think you folks would be intersted in something even I'm not fully aware of happening on my layout!:eek:

Today I went to check on the RRR to see how it was doing, and saw 1992 working the noticeably older-for-some-reason:rolleyes: grain elevatorand was ready to head out into the mainline, when it suddenly stopped!:
Picture_0366.JPG

that's when F3 4056 suddenly started to reverse into the siding.:
Picture_0365.JPG

I know that I told the guys that unless there was a train coming and there was no other option, that reversing onto a siding with another train potentialy going to hit the engine was STRICTLY FORBIDDEN! Of course, there was a train coming all along:rolleyes::
Picture_0364.JPG

But then I noticed that my three main switching units were hauling it!:eek: I had been told that RS-32 4242 was out working a CSX yard some distance away and would not return until 6 tonight. It was 4:22 when I saw 4242 at the end of the tripple switcher motive power:
Picture_0361.JPG

Also, there was no less than 6 boxcars on this train, all in one long segment, a rarity for local trains, so I knew something was up. My suspicions were comfirmed when all 6 boxcars and the tank car was put onto the engine repair tracks:
Picture_0351.JPG

Closer inspection of one of the boxcars revealed this:
headlamp.jpg

What's going on?:confused:

Dr. John

A bit farther up this thread I saw where you have a Kibri building that you want to bash into an engine house. Looks like an excellent starting point! Please post pics of your progress when you begin that project.

The layout's looking good! :thumb:

PRRman

Dum-Dum Pop Addict
Uhh...is that a headlight?!:neutral: I'm a little slow, man. you might wanna spell this one out for me... Oh, never mind... I get it, but I won't be the one to ruin the surprise for everyone else...:twisted:

PRRman

Dum-Dum Pop Addict
All right! Things are happening! Your bench work looks very nicely done, by the way. I love the latest addition to your loco roster! I have a couple of Pennsey units that won't get the PC treatment and will remain as they are.
Ralph
*Ahem* You can thank me for that one.:mrgreen: Yep, I'm the guy who gave him the GP9M. Nice to meetcha.

iis612

CNW, it is looking GREAT! :thumb:
I wish I would have known you were using EZ track, I just unloaded a bunch on Ebay. I would have offered them to you at a steep discount before I listed tham.

CNWman

CNW Fan
CNW, it is looking GREAT! :thumb:
I wish I would have known you were using EZ track, I just unloaded a bunch on Ebay. I would have offered them to you at a steep discount before I listed tham.
Thanks for the offer, but right now the main focus on the layout is making the buildings (to get their general location on the final layout), so I wouldn't be allowed to get any more E-Z track. If I do make the 4X8 part of a bigger layout, though, I'll need some switches and add on a part where engines that can't handle 18' minimm can come through.

madhatter said:
A- HA! A cop car in Disguise!
You mean the GP9M? The Geep, a.k.a. PRR 9912, was the seccond unit in the train. You can see it in the pic with 4242. THIS is a cop car in 'disguise':
police2.jpg
[tooth1]

UPDATE on the situation: Upon further investigation, and braving the weather (it's snowing out the wazzo here!), the tank car has been biscovered to be holding not any liquids, but a giant metal tube of sorts (how'd THAT get in there?!?), and the WSOR boxcar was full of levers, parts for various gauges, and what looks like two rather comfy chairs. Still, I have NO clue what's going on!

w8jy

CNW, when you get to the point where you need switches and more track, give me a shout. I have a lot of that stuff laying around gathering dust and I would rather see it put to use.

PRRman

Dum-Dum Pop Addict
UPDATE on the situation: Upon further investigation, and braving the weather (it's snowing out the wazzo here!), the tank car has been biscovered to be holding not any liquids, but a giant metal tube of sorts (how'd THAT get in there?!?), and the WSOR boxcar was full of levers, parts for various gauges, and what looks like two rather comfy chairs. Still, I have NO clue what's going on!
Hey, see if you can find at least 2 cylinders and some large metal rods...I think I know where this is going.:twisted: