Building the Badass Boss

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by rockpaperscissor, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Hi All,
    This will be my entry in the new free model contest, and my first car build.

In the guest modeler section of the Webdude's papercaft page there are a number of really cool looking super deformed hot rods designed by Ron Kemp, that are available for free download - many thanks for your generosity, guys. I liked them all, but I really liked the looks of the Boss 302 Mustang, and decided to give it a go.

Here's what'll it'll look like if I'm lucky

The Zip file contains everything you will need, and more. There are two bodies available - "BOD2", which is shorter and will fit the chassis without any modification, and "ford bod", which I chose, will require the builder to stretch the chassis by 9/16s of an inch (or 14mm metric). It would have been much easier to lengthen the chassis before building it, but being unaware of the pitfalls of using "ford bod", I already had mine fully assembled, complete with 1mm backing for strength, before I discovered the problem.

The stock chassis

If you are adept at Photoshop, you could probably just stretch the chassis before printing, but being software challenged, I had to do the repair manually. I severed my already assembled chassis in half, right in front of the leaf springs, and then I printed out a chassis portion to cut my patch from.

This won't hurt a bit

The chassis lost some rigidity after surgery, so I had to reinforce the area of the patch with some stiff mat board.

My, how you've grown

2. More Badass build

After the chassis debacle, it was time to move on to something else. The engine parts are on the same sheet as the chassis, so why not start there? The air scoop up on top of the supercharger has inner and outer parts which must be trimmed at the leading edge so that they mate up. I made a trim piece from scrap card for the front of the scoop to finish it off neatly.

The supercharger body is a simple one piece affair, nothing much to say there. The blower pully and belt were assembled and attached to the front of the supercharger. CAUTION - Be sure to angle the belt so that it'll fit properly through the hood cutout. Also, the hood cutout is just big enough for the supercharger to fit thru, so I'd recommend you don't glue it on until the very end, after the body has been attached to the chassis. I felt the need to "super detail" the blower, so I added a square bit of card to the back to represent a fuel block, and a couple of short cylinders up on top to act as fuel injectors. I finished it off with some fuel lines made of soft wire and painted with brass acrylic paint. You can see from the backside shot that I slopped a little brass paint on the supercharger body. I will touch that up with some matching grey paint.

The supercharger from the front

And from the back

You've got another decision to make when selecting your tires. You have the "weels" file (my choice) which has huge fat slicks for the back, and smaller, narrower tires in the front. Based on the split joining tabs, the sidewalls of these tires are meant to be scored and bent into a more realistic tire shape. The "buggy weels" file offers four tires of the same height, with wider treads for the back (although not as wide as the slicks in the "weels" file). The joining tabs on these indicate they are slab sides. These tires offer the detail of a wheel rim, and the wheels themselves are nicer I think - more chrome looking. Also, the "buggy weels" file has backing pieces for the tires, which are absent on the "weels" file. I built up the tires in the usual manner - no surprises there. After they were done, they looked a little lifeless so I rubbed a bit of linseed oil onto the paper. This darkened the "rubber" a bit, and lent a nice sheen to the tires.

3 finished tires and one in pieces

That's it for now. Next - the body
  3. Alcides

Alcides Member

Very nice. This models are in my to do list. Good to see a build thread of one of this cool cars.

Go ahead!!
  4. Badass Body

Well, I knew things were going too smoothly. The body came out really nice, but since I printed it on regular card stock, it was too matte, so I decided to put a nice gloss coat on it. I was all out of Krylon clearcoat, so I made a trip to the hardware store to buy a new can. They were all out of the Krylon as well, but they did have some spray cans of Rustoleum clear gloss coating. I figured, what the hey, clear gloss is clear gloss, right? Wrongo! Rustoleum's spray mist isn't as fine as Krylon, so I was left with a very bumpy finish that was shiny on the bumps, but still matte in the valleys. :nope: So, I sprayed on another coat which left me with an even bumpier and less even finish. :oops: To make matters worse, the paper started to get a little translucent, and the glue tabs were beginning to show through the body sides. Then I sprayed a couple of coats of Testors glosscoat enamel over the top of the Rustoleum, which helped a little, but was still far from ideal. :sad: Then I really freaked out and brush coated on a thick layer of Deft, which is a bartop finish that I've used on interior doors. I was bound and determined to get this SOB shiny no matter what it took! When it finally dried, it was really stiff, and defintely shinier, but still kind of bumpy, and a bit drippy too. Freakin' thing is demon posessed! :x I was about ready to submerge the entire thing in a gallon can of Deft just for spite, but instead I took a break for a week and painted the bathroom. When that was done I tried brushing on Testors dull coat. That worked pretty good, and after a few more layers of dull coat the body is back to where I was when I started this adventure - as flat as Kate Moss struttin' her stuff on the runway - except that it's about an eighth of an inch thick now. :yep:

Finished body ready to mount to the frame

When I dry fitted the body to the chassis, I found another problem. :oops: I glued on the piece that supports the blower way too low. There is no indication of where to position it on the chassis, so this is an easy mistake to make. I'm going to have to fabricate an extension piece so I have something to glue the blower to.

Chassis with the extension piece for the blower to sit on.

That's it for now. I can't wait to glue this bad boy together so I can get on to another project.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thats lookin pretty darn good - especially given the spray fiasco!
  6. The Badass Boss comes together

I'm happy to report no problems with final assembly. I made toothpick axles at the front and rear for strength, and glued the front tires to the chassis since they tuck up under the fenders. Then I glued the body on, starting with the front first, and then the sides. There is a glue tab at the back of the chassis, but I'll be darned if I can tell what it is supposed to be glued to. It's not really needed anyway - the joined body/chassis is a pretty strong unit without it. I glued the rear tires to the toothpick axle, stuck the blower through the hole cut in the hood, and viola! This one's done.

Darnit! I was going to take a photo of the completed Boss without any enhancements for the contest photo, but I forgot. Hopefully it won't disqualify me.

None of my models are truly done until they are sitting on a display base, so I made one out of black mat board, 5 x 8 x 1/2 inch thick. I decided to depict the car doing a wheelie, so I cut rectanglar openings in the surface of the base to make the slicks appear to sit down on the surface, and I crafted in a "belly" of card in each of the cutouts for the tires to rest in. This made for a really strong glue joint. If you're a fan of drag racing you'll know that slicks run with very low tire pressure. The combination of low pressure and high horsepower makes the tire's sidewalls flex and wrinkle as the car launches off the line. Here's a slow motion video from youtube that shows it really well I tried to suggest that effect with dark grey and black acrylic paints. I thought the Boss looked really badass doing the wheelie, but it still needed something. Since it is a cartoon car, I decided to make an exhaust collector sticking out out the sides with flames coming out. I drew out a flame pattern on card stock and copied it four times. I used two of them for each side to give a 3D look to the flames. Then I made exhaust collectors of an appropriate size (a simple rolled card tube cut at a slight diagonal) and glued the flames in the end. I sprayed the parts with Krylon's all purpose white primer and painted them with acrylic paints. The exhausts were then glued under the chassis on each side to complete the Badass Boss! Despite the problems encountered during the build, I 'm pretty happy with the finished model.

Outta my way!!

So long, sucker!

Driver's side view

Passenger's side view

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Great build! Nice seeing a car on here :)
  8. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Nice job! I was building the van from that site over the weekend, and installed a rubber band as a motor. Unfortunately it didn't work that well so I scrapped it. I'll have to try again with a redesign.
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Does anyone else remember those Revell ugly Monster models.............. for lack of the real name.................:grin:

When I was a small chap there was a family friend that did was in an Airplane (jet), another in a Hot Rod................

The Boss looks great, by the way!

10. I built a few of those. I think they were called Wierd-ohs. It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember building a hotrod out house, and a motorcycle. A friend of mine built a hot rod boat, and a hot rod coffin from the same line of models.
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah! That was it............. maybe we could get the Webdude to create those in paper.................

Oh and I hope you are not disqualified from the competition.............. we just might have to raise a stink......... kindda like the smell of burning rubber!

Again wonderful job!

12. chevygod

chevygod New Member

There were a few crazy car models by different companies. Google for Deals Wheels (Revell), Zingers (MPC), the aforementioned Weirdos (Hawk and Lindberg and Testors and others, molds were moved around), and look up Tom Daniels who designed "scale" and cartoon cars for Monogram. I'm sure there are others, but these are a start
  13. rowiac

rowiac Member

The ones from Revell were probably creations of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth. He did Rat Fink, Drag Nut, Mr. Gasser and a bunch of other stuff. Some of the p*****c models have been reissued. My older brother had some of them way back when.

14. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Those paper cars are great stuff. I did the boss too, but yours definitely looks better. I like the little touch of the flames comming from the exhausts.
    I also did the bus. I cut out the paper glass and put in the see through instead. Also put the blood shot eyes in there.

Attached Files:

15. I was going to build the VW bus next Bluenoser. Yours came out great! I hadn't thought about modifying it with clear glass. Did you paint the inside of the cab black? It appears so from the pictures. I owned a VW bus (a Kombi) back in the very early '70's when I was a hippy. :oops: Grey primer overall with a day glow orange disc on the front instead of a VW emblem. It was geared so low that it took nearly two minutes to get up to highway speed. It was torture to drive in the winter. I put up a divider aft of the front seats to try and keep some meager amount of heat in the cab. The pedal brackets went through the floorboard, and one of them was missing a grommet, so the icy 55 MPH air would go right up the leg of my bell bottoms. Ah, to be young again! Good thing I had all that hair to keep me warm. :) I wouldn't even get into one of those things now. In the event of a head on collision the front seat passengers were the first objects to come in contact with the other car/truck/wall/tree/pole/whatever - flesh and bone was intended to cushion the rest of the car I guess - sort of an early version of the airbag. I think the seating plan must have been designed to protect the tires or something. Quite a stroke of genius!
  16. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Yes, I did paint the inside black. I also cut out a panel from black bristle (bristol?) board which served to close out the cab area. this is what I glued the eyes onto.
  17. chevygod

chevygod New Member

Ed Roth did a bunch of stuff for Revell, but to see the "cartoony cars" from Revell, and others, go here:

Deal's Wheels, Snap Draggins, Zingers, ah the good ol' days...

18. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Cool stuff, the Mustang and the VW bus. Nice builds.