Building the B2 From IAF Magazine

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by dwgannon, Jun 12, 2005.

1. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I was watching Maill Call last night. They featured the B2 Bomber. So I thought that now would be a good time to bring this aircraft out. I did do a recolor but am not happy with it. So we will call this a test build. I have included some pictures to show the progress of this Aircraft. The model has proven to be harder than I thought it would be. But that could be due to not being able to read Israeli. But I am happy so far. But any way on with the pictures.
  2. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

hi man

as 1 as live in israel
    iherd thet its hard to got the IAF models out ther
    so if somobe want me to bay them and send them for him i have no problem
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

That's one model I have been looking for for more than a year now. Nice to see it really does exist somewhere...hehehe. What did the original look like? You mentioned you did a recolor. Could you put a portion of the original and the recolor up so I can see what you mean? If I ever get the kit, I'd like to know what I am in for. Also, is it 1:50 scale like most IAF models? It looks smaller than that scale.
  4. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

if i am not worng its 1/50
  5. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Ashrunner, yaniv
    The person that listed the model on e-bay said it was 1/100th scale. Since it is written in a language that I am not fluent in I must assume that it is right. As for the recolor I am including some samples for you to look at. It looked dark gray on my screen but it printed out in blusih gray. But I decided I would build it any way just ot see how it looked. I might enlarge it next time also. It does seem to be a bit small. All the sheets are A4 except for the fram then it's two A4 sheets together. Also one mistake that I made was not thinking when I rolled the skin over. I for got to put in the wheel wells. Let me tell you I am glad I have a set of long tweezers.
  6. tzachil

tzachil New Member

hi dwgannon
    Good luck with the B2 - should be a very nice model
    if you need help translating some of the instructions just let me know, I am will be happy to help.
    In general if you like some more IAFM models I can arrange to buy and ship it. since it is sponsored by the air force the price is 1$ :D and in the last years they have few good ones (most are in 1:50 scale)
  7. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

as i know the only place thet can got a IAF mag models in the price 1$ is in the makabis straat

u know some ather place?

last time i be ther 2 manch ago and i see only
  8. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

That should turn out to be a cool model Dave. The planes themselves are extremely cool. I live about an hour or so drive from Whiteman Air Force base where a number of B-2s, A10s, and some T-38s and Apache helicoptors are hangered. Luckily my dad is still part of the Air Force so I can get on the base too! It is awesome to occasionally see a B-2 fly overhead. They seem fake, like something that shouldn't be flying.
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Or maybe 'batman' is at the controls! :lol:

We used to have an air shows here and since one of the bombers is named 'Spirit of Mississippi' it used to attend. There is only one word for that plane in flight...........S W E E T.

Every time I saw it in flight it always reminded me of the bat plane from the old TV Batman series. I agree Dustin....... it really is hard to belive it is real. 8)

I'm looking forward to the completion of this model..........please keep us posted Dave!
  10. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Well I thought I had better get an update out here. This is one dickens of a model. I have the frame in under the skin. There are some sections that are not aligning correctly. But will post some pictures later today. I started to do the cockpit but it looked cheese so I painted the windows a gold tone for now. Like I said this would be a test build. The landing gear is giving me some trouble also so those are out. But it's not looking too bad. I think I will try to scale it up a bit. I think based on what I see this model is 1/50th not 1/100th scale.
  11. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Here are the pictures of the build. I still not happy with the color and I feel that the next one will be much better. But I will try to resize it up just a bit. It's not looking to bad.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Dave,

Its coming right along. I dont think the color is too bad. Its kind of the blue you might see way up on a blue day. But, I think it is looking good and it does appear to be about 1:48 scale.

have a nice evening all,

Greg aka GW
  13. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

What is the wingspan of the model as it is built in the photos?
  14. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

It about an 8th of an inch shy of 20". When I take the next photos I will make sure the ruler can be seen. It's a hummer to put together with out the instructions. And the pictures are not much help. It's a challange for sure.
  15. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Here is a top forward veiw of the B2. This is a test build and has a lot of mistakes. But I feel it still turned out okay. I was going to put in the cockpit but after destorying the Ejections seats I decided that I nice gold window would look good too.

Here is is in all it's glory.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Hoqdy Dave,

Looks Great to me! I still say that is kind of like a high alt. blue or gray and doesnt look bad. I had always thought of the B-2 in flat black, but I like it in this color too. I counted the 1" squares on your cutting board under the model and came up with 23 squares, so it has a wingspan of about 23" i would guess. I would say that is pretty close to 1:48.

have a nice day,

17. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Good looking Spirit Dave. If you don't mind, I would like to see a shot of the nose taken from a side view.

Considering the original aircraft has a wingspan of 172 feet, a 20 inch wingspan of the model would mean a scale of 1:103.2. So slight under that is closer to 1:100 which in my opinion, is a very good scale. 8v)

I am looking forward getting my copy of the model.

You mentioned it had a cockpit, but you messed up the ejection seats. Does the canopy come as a template for a clear windscreen, or is that something a person would have to work out on their own if they want the cockpit area?
  18. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Here you go. The picture I'll call the pig with wings. I am sorry from the side this is not a cute aircraft.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Dave,

Hey it looks great to me, and yes, the profile of the B-2, whether it be the model ot the real bird isnt pretty, but it sure is neat looking head on as it flies in for a landing....looks almost like alien technology. Looks real good!

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  20. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I had to create a template or the windows. But it's not hard. I had the plastic in but then decided to just color it gold. So painted the inside of the plastic after it was installed.