Building the 1/24 Ferrari 158

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by exzealot, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

Kenlwest... I am awebound to see this one.... Very well going.... I can't wait to see it finished :)
    I must say, the neatness at such a small scale is very difficult to manage but you seem to have done a pretty neat work... Keep it up....
  2. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

Ken, mine was between two sheets of card as well, however, the card was about half the size of the sheets, this is the area that got creased. If I laminated I could get some parts to work, however that would not be the case for the main body shell. That is why I asked if you were laminating to any other type of paper to stiffin up the paper the model is printed on. The kit is for a Lotus 49 Dutch GP 1967, parts to build either Jim Clark and or Graham Hill, both of which I liked. Also ordered the laser cut bulkheads and black tire tread for F/R tires. Being 1/24th scale, there is alot of detail options available to add to this build. I wanted to see for myself just what these kits were about, and I must admit, they are like a Tamiya kit printed on paper as for the detail. I must say after seeing one up close, I forsee a 1/12th version in my future. I just wished they were mailed in a box.:wave:
  3. zealousy

zealousy Member

I received this model as a prize about a week ago.....I had one look at it and sat myself down :) Your build thread is pushing me to start on it......:S The scale and the level of detail is scary!!!! Anyways, wanted to ask one question..Did you laminate any parts? The paper is so thin I'm not so sure if it will be sturdy enough...And thanks for the build thread, will be a guiding light when I eventually get around to build this beauty :)
  4. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

If you zoom in you will decrease depth of field. Making the image clear. In some instances that's not possible based on the location of the object (can't back up far enough). You will need a steady hand (mount) to take the picture because any movement will get magnified as well.

Relative distance to your lense/camera is what causes that effect. In some cases it's a good plan (as you want to show the distance) many times though you want the entire picture in focus.

Hope that helps..

Great build so far by the way. I myself may have gone for the 1/12 versions. Don't know if they exist yet as they don't have pics of them on their website? At the scale your working at it looks pretty fantastic. Makes me think of my days when Slot Cars where all the rage..hehe
  5. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

Kenlwest, I thought you might like to see what the LOTUS 49 looked like. Rebbecca has popped another one in the mail to replace because of the creased pages. I also included photo's of the laser cut bulkheads and the tire wraps that replicate the correct tire tread pattern for that period of racing in F1. I like these and see many more to include 1/12th scale kits in my future.:thumb: Hope you enjoy the photos. 124th Scale Racing 001.JPG

124th Scale Racing 002.jpg

124th Scale Racing 003.JPG
  6. exzealot

exzealot Member

These kits are GREAT!

The detail and realism is phenomonal. I'm glad Rebecca came through for you. The company seems like they are good to do business with... I'll be buying more from them soon.

I didn't know that the laser cut frames were available though.

I hope to see you build this. :thumb:

7. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

The laser cut parts are included w/this kit only. The price for the kit is abit more than the rest because they are included w/the 49. I am sure if enough people bought the kits and asked if the designer would cut the bulkheads, they would respond. As for building, right now I just set and look at, so many small parts and again the paper is sooo thin! I am watching you though. Went back to her site tonight and posted a 1/12 Ferrari to Pay-Pal. Will post some pic's of it when I get. Oh yea, Rebacca is a good person to deal with. She goes the extra yard to take care of her customers. Will do business with alot. She gets the double tumbs up:thumb::thumb: for her quality kits and first rate service. Rick
  8. phlipmbirner

phlipmbirner Member

Everytime they play "Grand Prix" (which is at least once a month) on the Turner Classic Movie channel , I get the urge to get a model of one of these 60's era F1 cars.

"I plan to add headers (painted solder), and ignition wires. Unless I chicken out."

I hope you will show us how you go about making the headers on this kit. The headers were the one area I thought needed more detailing on these kits as they look flat and therefore rather "paper like" in the kit. Perhaps it is that they are hidden away under a lot of other details and one won't notice. I look forward to see how you handle them.

Great write up!
  9. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

Hope all is well, I come everyday to see what progress you have made and miss your not being here. I am really enjoying your build. I have got over my pity party, life goes on and as once said, when life gives you lemons make lemon aid.sign1 Gotta see how this puppy turns out. Rick:wave:
  10. exzealot

exzealot Member

All is well. I put the Ferarri aside for a little while. I got this wild hair to build the Grumman Cougar and Panther in Blue Angels scheme (see my 2 threads under aircraft and aviation). I admit that I am addicted to paper models and even more addicted to designing them. I will be getting back to this in between design sessions.

11. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

Oh Ta, will be watching:wave:.
  12. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

I know you have not posted to this thread for quite awhile, but just wondering if you went any further with this build. I completely recopied my kit and am about to start build after almost a year. Studied the kit for along time before I felt comfortable attempting a build. I wished I had the ability to re-scale to 1/12th:wave:. Rick
  13. firefoxussr

firefoxussr thief

Simply amazing.... 3.5 years later.
  14. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

Dead thread with a model from a Dead Domain! wall1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.