Building Surfduke's CM and SM: Noob-ish Questions

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Robot Exodus, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Robot Exodus

Robot Exodus Member

Greetings :wave:,

As you can see, this is my first post on the site. However, I have been lurking the site for a considerable amount of time admiring the amazing models :eek:.

Unfortunately, my first post is a series of questions regarding Surfduke's amazing models.:oops::oops::oops:

1. Should I print out the model on plain copier paper or cardstock?

All the papermodel projects I've finished so far have been printed on 110 lb. cardstock. However, Surfudke's models seem to be an exception.

These models ask me to "laminate onto cardstock." Does this imply that I need to print the entire model onto normal printer paper?

2. Where could I get parachutes to add to the post-flight CM?

Surfduke's models, though incredibly detailed, don't include open parachutes, only folded ones...

3. How would I go about scaling this to 1:48?

I would like to build this model to go with a 1:48 scale U-don LEM model.

Robot Exodus
  2. dhanners

dhanners Member

Greetings and welcome aboard.

As for paper, try 65-pound cardstock. It's easy to work with yet it remains stiff. When the instructions say to glue something to cardstock, that usually means the part needs to be thicker, and you increase the thickness by laminating it to more layers of cardstock. Generally.

When it comes to papers, though, don't be afraid to use other sorts of paper, though. There are plenty of cool metallic papers out there, and it is easy to find lots of uses for them.

As for parachutes, check here:
    Scroll about halfway down and you'll find some. I'm not sure of the scale offhand, though, and didn't take time to look.

As far as rescaling goes, you can print the stuff out, then take it to a photocopying shop and copy it on a reducing copier. If my math is correct, if you photocopy it at 66 percent, your 1/32nd-scale model should turn into a 1/48th-scale model.

Here are a couple of photos of my build of Surfduke's CSM, built up as Apollo 7....

Attached Files:

3. Robot Exodus

Robot Exodus Member

Thanks for the advice. I never thought of looking at the misc. part of Jonathan Leslie's site. :p

I have a question about the parachute. Does anyone know what scale it is in? The website and the PDF both do not specify. :confused:

Also, your CSM build is amazing :eek:. Did you build the base yourself?
  4. mvink

mvink Member

If I recall correctly, the parachute on Mr. Leslie's site is in 1/48 scale to go with Ton's version of the Apollo CM.

5. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I built the base myself. It's just black foamcore board, cut in a shape to hold the SM. The plaque is just something I made using Word.