Building of The RK&M: The Cement Distributor

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Now I finished the ballast around the track bumpers and around the shed.

cemdist_n_001a.jpg

cemdist_n_002a.jpg

cemdist_n_003a.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I now have begun the abandoned road. I am using Woodland Scenics Smooth-It to make the road. First I place the Paving Tape to outline the road.

cemdist_o_001a.jpg

I then fill in the area with the Smooth-It. Allow it to set and remove the tape. Next I took an Xacto knife and beat up the old road.

cemdist_o_002a.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks folks!

I painted the entire road with Folk Art Dark Gray.

cemdist_p_001a.jpg

Now I weathered the road by dry brushing Folk Art Charcoal Gray, and Light Gray. I then hit with a Licorice wash. I also touched up the areas that where the Smooth-It ran onto.

cemdist_p_002a.jpg

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Wow...!!!

Terrific work!! Looks like those trains at the water tower will have a LOT more great places to go!!

A question. The colors you apply to the rock faces, are they all washes?? It seems as if they had "transparency". I use some of the same colors you use, but mine look "painted", although I do dilute them quite a bit. How do you achieve this effect??
Also, do the acrylics hold good on plastic??

Keep up the good work!!

Gus (LC&P).

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks guys!

steamhead said:
A question. The colors you apply to the rock faces, are they all washes?? It seems as if they had "transparency". I use some of the same colors you use, but mine look "painted", although I do dilute them quite a bit. How do you achieve this effect??
Also, do the acrylics hold good on plastic??

I use the paint straight out of the bottle. I use cosmetic sponges to apply the paint. I dab it onto the rock face. Some times I use a brush but again I dab. I do not "paint" the colors. When I apply the washes at the end I do use a brush and "paint" them on.

As far acrylics holding on plastic I found that you have to make sure you use a sealer. Also if the plastic is slick I will spray it will Dullcoat or gray auto primer from a spray can as a first coat.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

Really looking good!! What's the gravel you're using?? Also, are the acrylics sprayable if thinned enough?

Keep those pictures coming!!:thumb:

Gus (LC&P).

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks!

steamhead said:
Hi,

What's the gravel you're using?? Also, are the acrylics sprayable if thinned enough?

The gravel is Woodland Scenics Medium Buff and Medium Brown. I pour some of both in a cup and then shake the cup up to mix them. I then pour them were I need them.

The acrylics I use which are also called craft paints are sprayable. I dilute them at a rate of 1 to 1 with blue windshield washer fluid.