Building of GREMIR HMS Onslow

jnyoun

Hi Shoki2000,

Could you help me to identify the following parts (the parts that has 'red' circles in the picture below)? There is no 'number' on white mark and I could not find any related number in the construction diagram? In fact, there are several of those types. What is the best way to identify the parts?

Thanks

JN

shoki2000

Hmmmmmmm.......
Deck under those parts does not show anything to be glued there but photo sof the model and diagram do show something....
I will forward your question to the designer as it seems he is the only one with enough info to solve this...

jnyoun

Current progress.... There are many 'white marks' without numbers (indicated by 'red circle'). So, I am going to wait until other structures are built. In this way, I hope I can identify the parts from 'remaining' parts.

I ordered a 'circle' punch to make a clean cut of circles. I will make other parts when I receive the tool because most of them requires 'circle' cut. :)

So, now I think to rebuild other super-structures...

jnyoun

Progress Report:

I added some more detailed. I am going to attach it at the final building stage.

This is a front view.

And, back view...

jnyoun

ok... now... it is time to rebuild the hull again... which is my third trial.

Since I already built twice, everything went smooth...

Here is the third one I just finished...

Another picture...

Here are all of the hulls I built so far... Well, the first one worn out so fast as in the picture ever since it became one of my daughter's toy... The second one is still in good shape... However, it is getting old (?)....

The bottom.... can you see which is which?

And... I started to add the details...

jnyoun

Progress Report:

Started to build other super structures.

This is one I built today:

Compared to old one:

And, I built next super structure:

Again, compared to old one:

jnyoun

A note regarding the instructions:

I think the building instructions are not complete. What I mean by 'incomplete' is that the ship cannot be completely built just by following instructions. Many parts are not indicated in the instructions.

Fortunately, in addition to the instructions, many pictures are supplied in the package. I could figure out some of parts by refering to the pictures.

However, there is still a problem. The angles of pictures are limited, therefore all the parts cannot be seen in the pictures.

The most difficult thing to me is 'white circle'. There are many many white circles (which are supposed to be a part attachment at the circles). However, there is no instructions which parts are supposed to be there.

For example, in part 6a, 2 and 4, there are MANY MANY white circles (small and big). I could not find what parts numbers for those circles. The pictures show each circle has different type of parts. So, I could not identify which parts they are.....

Another example is in the following pictures. Again, there are many white circles and while squres. However, it is really difficult to find parts for those.

Is this case usual in ship building?

Thanks

JN

cdcoyle

I had similar problems with the Modelik Agassiz kit, not because of incomplete instructions, but because they were in Polish only. I would have been lost without additional reference material. Perhaps someone has published a monograph on Onslow's ship class?

Regards,

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Look for other pictures of the vessel (and others of the same class) in google images.
http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=hms+onslow+model&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2
I have encountered this problem with other models, not just ships. Unfortunately with these models all the parts of a structure are not grouped together either. Waiting until you are done and trying to figure out where the left over pieces go by size and shape is very frustrating.

BTW - your new build looks great! good luck :)
This drawing, only much larger, is available at http://warship.all-model.com/HMS Onslow.html

jnyoun

Hi Shoki2000,

Thanks for the picture. Unfortunately, there are several similar parts like those and I don't know exact part numbers. My plan is like:

1. Try to finish as much as possible by following instructions.
2. Once it is done, check the remaining parts to find match.

Hope this works....

jnyoun

I rebuilt torpedos.

After I finished, I was surprized how BAD the old one was....

At different angle.

This is what I am talking about. How stupid I was when I built the old one. I don't understand why I did this way (well... frankly... I know... it is because I am a beginner...:))... Fortunately, the new one looks good to me....

Bowdenja

jnyoun.................. whatever you are doing.............KEEP IT UP! Man that is looking good. The good thing is IF you can not figure it out you sure will be able to get some help here!

Again........... nice work!:grin:

john